These Cheddar Parmesan Tomato Breadsticks are the perfect addition to pasta night, meatloaf night, or pretty much any night! Easy enough for busy weeknights, and fancy enough for Sunday Supper.
When I was in college, my friend and I used to stop at Jamba Juice for smoothies before each of our three night classes every week. We were convinced it meant we were eating healthy. So maybe that was a little far-fetched, but either way we loved our Jamba Juice runs.
I’ve never stopped loving Jamba Juice, and was excited when they started coming out with different breads to go with your smoothie. Because like I’ve mentioned before, I love bread. I fell in love with their Cheddar Tomato Twist and I haven’t looked back. I swore one day I’d make them at home and I finally have.
The easy part of these breadsticks is that they start with pre-made pizza dough. Just the kind you buy in a tube – I used Pillsbury but you can use generic if you like. Then spread on a little bit of pasta sauce. Save some from spaghetti night or just use regular tomato sauce with a little extra seasoning. Next comes the best part – the cheese! Sprinkle a bunch of that cheesy goodness all over the dough. Then layer another sheet of pizza dough, cut and twist. Sprinkle more cheese, because you can never have too much cheese, and bake!
Cheddar Parmesan Pizza Twists
- 2 tubes pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley divided
- 1 egg
- Ranch or pizza sauce for dipping if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper, or foil that's been sprayed with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured, flat surface (like a cutting board) roll out one tube of pizza dough. Keep the other in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Spread sauce evenly on pizza dough. Sprinkle with half of the parsley. Add a little Italian seasoning or oregano if using plain tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle evenly with about 2/3 of the cheeses.
- Roll out the other tube of pizza dough and place it squarely on top of the first, pressing down lightly. With a pizza cutter or a very sharp knife, slice dough width-wise into sticks, about every 2 inches. Then cut across the middle lengthwise so that each stick is cut into two pieces. Take the ends of each stick and gently twist. You may have to help the center part along with your hands. They don't have to be perfect - we're going for rustic!
- Lay each twist on a parchment or foil covered cookie sheet, close together but not touching. Crack egg into a small bowl. Add a tablespoon of water and whisk with a fork to combine. Brush tops of breadsticks lightly with egg wash. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes, then gently slide breadsticks from the cookie sheet to a plate. Serve with ranch or extra pizza sauce for dipping.
Fore more delicious breads, try these: