These White Chocolate and Coconut Blondies are chewy and tender, rich and delicious. The sweet white chocolate and crunchy coconut on top makes this a dessert you won’t want to share!
When it comes to dessert, I don’t have a huge sweet tooth. I’m more of a salty kind of person. But throw coconut on top, especially toasted coconut? Well that’s a whole other ballgame.
I’ve always had an affinity for Blondies, too. They are warm and sweet and the brown sugar gives them a nice, chewy texture.
So what exactly is a Blondie? Basically it’s a brownie without the cocoa. It also substitutes brown sugar for the granulated sugar in a traditional brownie. They lend themselves to different variations and flavor combinations, too. I personally love the white chocolate and toasted coconut in this recipe. They also go great with pretzels and salted caramel.
I had a couple of variations in mind when I came up with this recipe. I initially had planned to make a white chocolate ganache, but ultimately decided to just melt the chocolate chips right on top of the bars and boy am I glad that I did! Once the blondies came out of the oven I just covered the top with white chocolate chips. A minute or two in the oven and the chips were soft enough to spread…and spread I did. I smeared that white chocolate all over the top of the blondies using a small, offset spatula. You could also use a knife but the spatula really gets into those corners of the pan with ease. Finally I topped them off with a generous helping of toasted coconut.
The white chocolate on top stays soft, but not too soft and the coconut has a nice crunchy texture. The blondies themselves have toasted coconut and white chocolate chips inside, so added all that goodness on top too made them pretty much irresistible.
Toasted Coconut & White Chocolate Blondies
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut divided
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8” or 9” square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spread all of the coconut on a large baking sheet and slide into the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once while baking. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy; about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the butter/sugar mixture just until combined.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of cooled toasted coconut and 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan, using your hands or a silicone spatula to spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Sprinkle about 1 cup of white chocolate chips on top of the blondies and place the an back into the oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula or a butter knife, spread melted white chocolate evenly over the blondies. Immediately sprinkle with remaining toasted coconut, pressing lightly so coconut will stick.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
For more delicious desserts, try these: