This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Rice Krispie Treats with a twist – they’re made with marshmallow Peeps and layered for beautiful, colorful Easter Rice Krispie Treats. Make these Layered Peeps Treats for all of your spring gatherings.
I know, I know, it’s still snowing in a lot of the country, but Valentine’s Day is over and that means there are Peeps in the stores! I may have literally jumped and clapped when I saw them.
I have had a vision for these little layered treats in my head for over a month now and I’ve been dying to finally make them. Have you seen all the colors they have? Check out this huge pack of Peeps in six colors!Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
How To Make Layered Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
The lovely pastel layers make these Easter Rice Krispie Treats look like you really had to put some effort into them, but I promise you they are super easy. If you’ve ever made Rice Krispie Treats, you can make these.
Any colors will do, and I just saw today that there are new flavors – lime, lemon, and orange. Wouldn’t that be fun for a little citrus-flavored layered treat?
- For each layer you will want to use separate microwaveable bowls. I used my Pyrex 4-cup Glass Measuring Cups because they are the perfect size. You want the dish to be pretty tall because the Peeps expand quite a bit while they’re in the microwave, and they will spill over shorter sides.
- Melt a 3 oz. package of Peeps with a tablespoon of butter for 45 seconds in the microwave. Feel free to pause for a moment of silence. Then stir them up.
- Add a cup and a half of Crispy Rice cereal and combine until cereal is completely coated with colorful, sticky Peeps goodness. Then press into a loaf pan lined with foil, then repeat the process with the rest of your colors.
- Allow the layered rice krispie treats to cook completely at room temperature. Then remove from the pan, slice, and serve or wrap up as individual treats.
How To Serve Easter Rice Krispie Treats
One of my favorite ways to serve these Layered Peeps Treats is as “pops.” Once the treats are set and completely cooled, take them out of the pan and cut them into about one-inch thick slices; a serrated knife works best.
Then cut those 8 slices in half. I trimmed the sides so they were even, but that’s completely optional. Add a lollipop or popsicle stick to each piece and you’ve got 16 adorable Easter treats that are perfect for classroom parties, Easter or spring party favors, or gifts for neighbors.
Can I Make These With Regular Marshmallows Instead Of Peeps?
Because they’re made with Peeps, these treats definitely have a distinct flavor. We happen to love the flavor of Peeps so we love it. However, a lot of people have asked if you can make these with regular marshmallows and food coloring.
While that isn’t my choice, the answer is yes, you can! Just use the basic Rice Krispie Treats recipe (find it on the cereal box) and divide the ingredients by the number of colors you plan to use.
Then prepare each color in a separate bowl, adding a few drops of food coloring to each bowl as you go until you’ve reached your desired color. Then layer as seen in the photos above. This method definitely does add an extra step and the colors don’t get nearly as bright, but if you’re not a fan of Peeps this will yield similar results.
How long do they last?
Do not store these treats in the fridge as they will harden and become inedible. Store in a loosely sealed plastic bag – in an airtight sealed bag they will release moisture and become soggy.
They should stay fresh for a couple of days. If making these for a party, I recommend making them the night before to ensure freshness.
Try Some More Delicious Easter Treats!
- Peeps Popcorn
- Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Peeps Easter Gift Idea with Free Printable
- 35 Easter Side Dishes
Layered Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine divided
- 4 3- ounce packages Marshmallow Peeps in 4 different colors
- 6 cups Crispy Rice cereal divided
- Prepare an 8-9″ loaf pan by lining with foil and spraying lightly with cooking spray.
- Divide the Peeps by 10s of the same color – 10 pink, 10 yellow, etc. (use any colors you like).
- In a deep, medium sized microwaveable dish, microwave 10 of the same color peeps with 1 tablespoon of butter on high for 45 seconds. Because microwaves vary, watch closely so the Peeps don’t flow over the sides of the bowl. Stir butter and Peeps together until fully melted and incorporated. (*tip – spray a spatula with cooking spray before stirring).
- Stir in 1 ½ cups of cereal until fully coated. Press firmly into the loaf pan.
- Repeat steps 3-4 with the other Peeps colors.
- Allow to cool completely (1-2 hours) before slicing.
This post was originally created in 2015 and updated in 2018.