This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Planning a Cinco de Mayo party? These cinnamon spicy, sinfully chocolatey Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes would be a perfect dessert for any Mexican meal!
Why We Love This Recipe
- These cupcakes are super easy to make, especially if you just use a box mix like I do. The topping is made with Cool Whip or you can use fresh whipped cream frosting.
- They pair perfectly with Mexican meals, like Ground Beef Enchiladas, Baked Chicken Tacos or Authentic Tacos Al Pastor.
- Cinnamon and chocolate are a perfect paring!
- Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- Milk – Replace the amount of water called for in the directions
- Eggs – as called for on the package
- Oil – as called for on the package
- Ground cinnamon
- Pure vanilla extract
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Using a hand mixer, or your stand mixer, beat the cake mix with the milk, eggs, oil, cinnamon and vanilla for about two minutes until it’s nice and thick. Scoop into muffin cups and bake as directed.
The frosting is just Cool Whip mixed with cinnamon. So yummy and light with the richness of the cupcake. You just add a little bit of powdered sugar to it to sweeten it up and beat it for thirty seconds or so. You can also just use your favorite white frosting.
Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
More Cake Recipes
- Banana Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake
- Easy Chocolate Cake Balls (Cake Pops)
- Easy Funnel Cake at Home
- Marble Cake
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 18 ounce box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 1/4 cup Milk (or enough to replace the water called for on the package)
- 2 eggs (or what's called for on the package)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or enough to replace the oil called for on the package)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 ounces Cool Whip
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven as directed on the cake mix package. Line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners. Place Cool Whip in the refrigerator to thaw.
- Mix all cupcake ingredients together, beating on low speed for 30 seconds and medium speed for two minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop into prepared muffin pans.
- Bake according to box directions.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat thawed Cool Whip with powdered sugar and cinnamon on medium speed for 30 seconds or until desired consistency.
- Frost your cupcakes. Sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon, if desired.