This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chopped apples are piled high on the perfect pretzel crust and topped with rich dark chocolate and pecans.
Hi there, Annie from Maebells; here bringing you a totally addictive and totally gluten free dessert! I actually don’t make dessert often. We normally have some granola or some sort of homemade snack bar around our house for those times when you need to satisfy your sweet tooth, but real dessert? It is pretty rare around here. However, on those few occasions I do make a dessert I go all out! I am talking oosing, melted chocolate, loads of fluffy frosting, the works!
A few Fridays ago I got home and had this uncontrollable urge for chocolate! Not just chocolate, I needed a combo of rich dark chocolate and something salty. I am such a sucker for the salty and sweet combo! As I dug through my cabinets I hit the jackpot, gluten free pretzels, chocolate, pecans, and a few sweet Fiji apples on the counter. I got to work.
This was inspired by my favorite “Magic Cookie Bars” or maybe you call then “7 Layer Bars”? It is the recipe that has been on the back of the can of sweetened and condensed milk for ages. It includes a graham cracker crust, chocolate, coconut, and nuts. It was a favorite of mine growing up, so I took the same concept and put a fun apple spin on it.
In a word, these bars are perfect. I know that is a high bar to set for such a simple recipe, but it has all the elements you need in a good dessert. A little salty, a crunch from the apples and pecans, and a whole lot of sweet.
So pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy! I bet you can’t eat just one!
Apple Magic Bars
- 1 1/2 cup crushed gluten free pretzels
- 1 1/2 cup crushed Honey Nut Chex
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 finely chopped Fiji apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the crushed pretzels, cereal and butter and press into the bottom of the pan.
- Top with apples, pecans, chocolate and lightly press down so the bars are firm.
- Pour condensed milk over the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
Check Out These Other Delicious Desserts from Maebells!
Thank you so much Annie for sharing these delicious treats! They seriously look SO amazing!!!