This Slow Cooker Shepherd’s Pie, is rich and delicious and full of tender beef and vegetables in a thick gravy topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes. It’s the ultimate stick-to-your-ribs comfort food!
I am so excited to be able to share this amazing recipe with you! It’s one of 80 Slow Cooker dinner recipes from my friend Samantha’s new cookbook “Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers!” In this book you will find tons of easy to follow, delicious recipes that are full of real, fresh and unprocessed ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store. More about that later, but for now, back to the recipe…
This time of year I really start craving good, old fashioned comfort food. It doesn’t get any better than Shepherd’s Pie! It’s a classic meat and potatoes dish that is easy to make and uses ingredients that you usually have on hand. With the added vegetables, it’s a meal all on it’s own!
I’ve never seen a slow cooker adaptation of this recipe and I was really excited to try it out. Instead of ground beef, this recipe uses chuck roast cut into cubes like stew meat, which becomes so tender and delicious in the slow cooker. The meat is cooked with some hearty veggies, like carrots and mushrooms, in a rich sauce of beef broth, tomato paste and spices. The smell is glorious wafting through the house as it cooks all day long!
The potatoes can be made ahead of time, or about an hour before you’re ready to serve dinner. You can make your own from scratch (recommended) or use frozen or box spuds if you’re short on time. About 20 minutes before dinner, thicken the gravy and spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and veggies, then cover and cook just long enough to heat the potatoes through.
Slow Cooker Shepherd's Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast trimmed & cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 oz white mushrooms cleaned & roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 6 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoon House Seasoning*
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas thawed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 to 6 cups Mashed Potatoes recipe follows or you may use leftovers
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes peeled & cut into 2-inch hunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk warmed
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the beef cubes in a large slow cooker. Top with the garlic, carrots, mushrooms and corn. In a medium bowl, whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and House Seasoning. Pour the mixture over the contents of the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, until the beef is tender.
- To make the mashed potatoes, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover them with 2 inches (5 cm) of water. Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat and stir in the salt. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when stabbed with a fork (start checking them at 15 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes, and return them to the pot. Add the milk, butter, salt and pepper to taste. Gently mash the potatoes with a handheld potato masher.
- Use a large spoon to skim any fat from the surface of the beef and veggie mixture in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix the flour and 6 tablespoons (90 ml) water until smooth, then slowly stir the mixture into the slow cooker. Add the peas. Adjust the seasonings to taste with salt and pepper. Mix the cheddar into the Mashed Potatoes and spread in an even layer over the top of the beef and vegetables. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 15 to 30 minutes, until the gravy is thickened and the Mashed Potatoes are heated through.
- *Many of the recipes in this cookbook call for House Seasoning. This House Seasoning Recipe is as follows: 1/4 cup fine sea salt, 1/4 cup garlic powder, 2 tablespoons onion powder, 1 tablespoon black pepper. Mix these together in a small bowl and store the House Seasoning in an airtight container.
The Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers Cookbook makes an excellent gift for the holidays, or just for yourself! It’s full of 80 recipes that you can make in your slow cooker, including dinnertime classics like Teriyaki Chicken and Swedish Meatballs, new favorites like Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Sliders, Mini Pulled Pork Pizzas, King Ranch Chicken Soup, and holiday favorites like Cran-Cherry Glazed Ham and Citrus Glazed Cornish Hens. This book makes a great gift for the holidays or anytime. Find it on Amazon, at Barnes and Noble or anywhere books are sold.
For more delicious slow cooker recipes, try these:
For all Slow Cooker recipes on the site go HERE.
For all dinner recipes go HERE.
For the Recipe Index go HERE.