I am so honored and excited to be participating in a fun little blog hop this week! “Seasons of Home: Spring Edition – Blooming with Color” celebrates bright colors of spring. For me, when I think spring, I think yellow, and when I think yellow, I think lemons (you might remember my lemon inspired spring table from last year). So it’s only fitting that I have a fabulous tangy lemon dessert to share with you today.
I bought a bag of coconut last week to make my Chocolate Coconut Rice Krispie Treats. I only used a half cup so I had a bunch leftover and I had to figure out what to do with it. This recipe was one of the first that came to mind. I add a box of cake mix, some juicy lemons from my backyard an egg and a bit of butter. So easy! I used white cake mix because it’s what I had on hand, and the lemon flavor was nice and subtle. However, you could also take that tang up a notch with a lemon cake mix.
It’s a perfect sweet treat to guide you into spring!
- 1 box cake mix (lemon or white)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut
- coconut and powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray and 11¾" x 7¾" pan lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently sift cake mix and set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. *Note: do not melt completely, but more to a creamy smooth consistency. You don't want it to be too hot.
- To the cake mix, add butter, egg, lemon juice and zest and combine. Stir in coconut.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for approx. 25 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and coconut. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
There are some seriously talented ladies, and I’m in fabulous company to present the Seasons of Home Spring Edition! Take a moment and check out there blogs ~
Liz Marie Blog will be sharing a gorgeous spring dining room today.
Then later in the week you can check out:
For more great spring themed posts, you may enjoy: