These Chocolate, Coconut Caramel Krispy Treats are inspired by Samoas – a classic favorite Girl Scout Cookie! They are salted caramel Rice Krispie Treats loaded with toasted coconut, smothered in chocolate and topped with even more coconut.
It’s funny how things change. When I was a Girl Scout, cookies sold for $2 a box and we went door to door in our neighborhoods selling them to anyone who would answer. Now those same cookies sell for $5 a box and let me tell you. They do not taste the same.
For the record, yes we still buy them, yes we still support the Girl Scouts and yes, we still enjoy those cookies. But they still don’t taste the same. And they changed the names! Samoas are now called “Caramel DeLites” and my Tagalongs are now called “Peanut Butter Patties.” Thank goodness Thin Mints are still Thin Mints or I might need to lead a revolt.
Anyway back to these Krispy Treats. The base is the same recipe as my Salted Caramel Treats I shared back in December but I added a bunch of toasted coconut. I left smooshed them all into a 13×9 pan and then smeared melted chocolate all over the top and sprinkled another cup of coconut on top for color and crunch. The result is these delicious little bites of heaven, that yes, really do have that flavor of Samoa that we all know and love.
I took half of the batch to the teaching staff at my kids’ school and got lots of compliments, and one request to never bring them back because my son’s teacher couldn’t stop eating them. I’ll take that win.
Samoa Inspired Chocolate, Coconut Caramel Krispy Treats
Yield 15 treats
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 cups mini marshmallows, divided (almost 2 10 ounce bags)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 11-ounce package caramels, unwrapped, or caramel bits
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups coconut, toasted and divided
- 2 cups Semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread coconut on a large baking sheet in an even layer. Toast in the oven, stirring at least once, until golden brown; about 7-8 minutes.
- Line a 13"x9" casserole dish with parchment paper or foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray and pour rice krispies cereal into the bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large, 3 quart pot over medium heat. Add about 7 cups of marshmallows and the caramels. Stir often until completely melted and smooth; about 4-5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1 cup of the toasted coconut. Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal in the large bowl and add the remaining marshmallows. With a silicone spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, stir well until coated.
- Press the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and press into an even layer.
- Place the chocolate and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the rice krispie treats. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of toasted coconut.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Serving Size 1 treat
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
For more delicious treats, try these:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.