This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For me, when I think spring, I think yellow, and when I think yellow, I think lemons. So it’s only fitting that I have a fabulous tangy Lemon Coconut Cake Mix Bars dessert to share with you today.
I bought a bag of coconut last week to make my Chocolate Coconut Caramel Krispy Treats. I only used a little, so I had a bunch leftover and I had to figure out what to do with it. This recipe was one of the first that came to mind. I add a box of cake mix, some juicy lemons from my backyard, an egg, and a bit of butter. So easy! I used white cake mix because it’s what I had on hand, and the lemon flavor was nice and subtle. However, you could also take that tang up a notch with a lemon cake mix.
It’s a perfect sweet treat to guide you into spring!
Lemon Coconut Cake Mix Bars
- 1 box cake mix lemon or white
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut
- coconut and powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray and 11 3/4" x 7 3/4" pan lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently sift cake mix and set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. *Note: do not melt completely, but more to a creamy smooth consistency. You don't want it to be too hot.
- To the cake mix, add butter, egg, lemon juice and zest and combine. Stir in coconut.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for approx. 25 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and coconut. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
I don’t have the size pan you recommend for the lemon coconut bars. Can you use any other size pan ?
A larger or small pan would have a different baking time but you could try it. I’d go larger with a 13×9 and reduce the baking time a bit.
Lemon & coconut are my two all time favorite flavors. Do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut in this? Thanks much!
I believed I used sweetened coconut.
Do U use dry cake mixes or make the cake mix first? Ty Robin
It’s a boxed cake mix.
Hi Kristin, I found this recipe as a feature on Bobshell Bling today and had to stop by, This looks so delicious and I have 2 yellow mixes I need to use!!
I have pinned to share and would love to have you stop by and share with my readers on #OMHGWW this week!
Have a great week!
Oh now these look seriously tasty!
Does it taste better with lemon or white cake?
Kristin, these look really yummy! Quick and easy, too. Pinning this for future reference!