For me, when I think spring, I think yellow, and when I think yellow, I think lemons (you might remember my lemon inspired spring table from last year). So it’s only fitting that I have a fabulous tangy Lemon Coconut Cake Mix Bars dessert to share with you today.
I bought a bag of coconut last week to make my Chocolate Coconut Rice Krispie Treats. I only used a half cup so I had a bunch leftover and I had to figure out what to do with it. This recipe was one of the first that came to mind. I add a box of cake mix, some juicy lemons from my backyard an egg and a bit of butter. So easy! I used white cake mix because it’s what I had on hand, and the lemon flavor was nice and subtle. However, you could also take that tang up a notch with a lemon cake mix.
It’s a perfect sweet treat to guide you into spring!
Lemon Coconut Cake Mix Bars
- 1 box cake mix lemon or white
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut
- coconut and powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray and 11 3/4" x 7 3/4" pan lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently sift cake mix and set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish. *Note: do not melt completely, but more to a creamy smooth consistency. You don't want it to be too hot.
- To the cake mix, add butter, egg, lemon juice and zest and combine. Stir in coconut.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for approx. 25 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and coconut. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.