This Banana Split Quick Bread is a fun spin on a classic banana bread recipe that I’ve been using for many years. It’s sweet and chocolatey, and the added cherries make it playful and fun, just like a banana split!
I got my love of baking from my mom. When I was young, she was always baking something – pies, cookies, cupcakes. And this delicious Banana Split Bread.
I’m not sure if this is the same recipe that she always used, but I’ve been using it for years. So long that I can’t remember where it’s from! But it’s easy to whip up and the perfect use for those super ripe bananas. Don’t have ripe bananas for your banana bread? Try this method to “ripen” your bananas in minutes!
What makes this banana bread special is the addition of not only semi-sweet chocolate chips, but maraschino cherries, too! My mom always made this particular bread with chopped walnuts, and it’s delicious with them, but we are a nut-free house so the bread pictured is as well. I’ll add them in to the recipe below so you can decide for yourself.
Banana Split Bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries drained well and cut into fourths
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and spray a 9" loaf pan generously with cooking spray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in eggs one at a time until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Stir in milk and cinnamon. Add the banana mixture to the butter mixture and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and still just until combined - do not overmix.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Carefully fold in the cherries so they don't bleed into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for half an hour before removing and cooling the bread directly on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve as is, or with ice cream, if desired.
Fore more delicious bread recipes, try these: