This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Garlic Brown Sugar BBQ Chicken adds a subtle sweet and savory flavor that is truly unique and so delicious.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Garlic + Brown Sugar BBQ Chicken
The brown sugar and garlic combination is absolutely amazing! The savory garlic blends so well with the sweet molasses flavor of the brown sugar. It would make a fabulous chicken dinner all on it’s own, but adding your favorite barbecue sauce sends it over the top.
I used chicken tenders for this recipe, because sometimes I actually prefer that to the larger chicken breasts. There is a much quicker cooking time and no pounding required. I think my kids really like the more sauce, less chicken ratio! You could certainly use larger chicken breasts or even chicken thighs, but the cooking time would change.
It’s super easy to make, using just a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Our favorite Barbecue sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s, but you can use any of your family’s favorites.
How to Make Brown Sugar and Garlic Chicken
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Prep a pan by greasing it with nonstick cooking spray and preheat your oven.
- Combine brown sugar and garlic cloves in a small bowl.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels then arrange in a baking dish. Spread the brown sugar and garlic mixture over the chicken.
- Bake the tenders for 10 minutes.
- Brush the tenders with bbq sauce and broil for 3-5 minutes, careful not to let them burn.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave for 45-60 seconds, or until warmed through.
If using chicken breasts, increase the time to 20-25 minutes and thighs, 25-30 minutes. Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
More Chicken Recipes
- Easy Baked BBQ Chicken
- BBQ Chicken Drumsticks in the Slow Cooker
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Crispy & Juicy BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
Brown Sugar & Garlic Barbecue Chicken
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9″ x 12″ baking dish with foil or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Mix brown sugar and garlic in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in the baking dish and spread the brown sugar/garlic mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Bake chicken for about 10 minutes for tenders, 15-20 for chicken breasts, or until juices are clear.
- Turn on the broiler and brush barbecue sauce evenly over chicken. Broil for about 5 minutes, careful not to let it burn.