Even though grilling is season nearly over for most of the country, you can still get that delicious barbecue chicken that you love with this easy Baked BBQ Chicken recipe.
Just like my Baked Chicken Breast recipe, this one uses simple spices and a quick roasting method to get the most tender and juicy chicken. I do have a secret weapon to get that sticky barbecue finish – the broiler!
EASY BAKED BBQ CHICKEN
Baked chicken is one of the most popular weeknight dinner go-tos for busy families, my own included! Customizing that chicken with different flavors can be a challenge because there are tons of options. My Barbecue Chicken however, is one of the easiest, most delicious chicken recipes out there.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED BBQ CHICKEN BREAST
- To make this delicious chicken, first start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been lightly pounded so they are the same thickness. This is so important to ensure that your chicken cooks evenly.
- Next rub the chicken with a blend of spices, mainly chili powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper
- Coat with your favorite barbecue sauce. My personal favorite is Sweet Baby Rays Sweet & Spicynbecause there it’s the perfect blend of sweet and heat.
- Finally, the chicken is baked to tender, juicy perfection.
- *PRO TIP: To get that sticky barbecue finish, flip on the broiler and place the chicken directly below it during the last 5 minutes. This will caramelize the sauce and make it extra delicious. Do be sure to watch it closely because as the sugars in the sauce caramelize, they can burn quickly.
HOW LONG DO I COOK BBQ CHICKEN IN THE OVEN?
Chicken breasts can be tricky to bake because they are very lean with little to no fat making it easy to dry them out. Bake the bbq chicken in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Baking your chicken breasts at a high temperature for a shorter amount of time ensures that they retain their moisture.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK BBQ CHICKEN THIGHS IN THE OVEN?
To bake boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and just bake for a little longer, around 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in the thickest part of the chicken. Chicken thighs have a higher fat content so you don’t have to worry as much about them drying out. Bone-in chicken will take an additional 20-30 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED BBQ CHICKEN BREASTS
This recipe is a great meal starter, and goes so well with just about anything you want to serve. Some of our favorite bbq chicken side dishes include:
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Creamy Cornbread Casserole
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Perfect Baked Potatoes
- Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
For more delicious chicken dinners, try these:
- Roasted Lemon Chicken Drumsticks
- Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Bacon Wrapped Ginger Soy Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sliders
Baked Barbecued Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce (or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pound chicken breasts lightly so they are of even thickness.
- Pour about 1/2-3/4 of a cup of barbecue sauce in a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over both sides of the chicken and rub it in with your hands. Place chicken breasts side by side in the prepared baking dish, making sure there is no overlap.
- Brush with the barbecue sauce, enough to cover the chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, until juices are clear or a meat thermometer reads 160-170 degrees. Baste with more sauce after about 10-12 minutes.
- Turn the broiler to high and move chicken to the top rack of the oven. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until sauce is caramelized and nice and sticky - careful to watch closely to avoid burning.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes while the juices settle before slicing.
- Serve hot.