This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Sour Cream Cornbread recipe is the perfect sidekick to your holiday meal or your favorite bowl of soup or chili. The addition of sour cream makes this tasty cornbread incredibly moist and deliciously tender.
Cornbread with Sour Cream
Think cornbread is too complicated to make from scratch? I have news for you – Sour Cream Cornbread is so easy! You just need a few simple pantry ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Plus making it from scratch tastes so much better than what you’ll get from a boxed mix.
The mixture of creamed corn and sour cream give this cornbread a moist and creamy texture. It’s perfect for serving to company and for holiday dinners. Slather it with Honey Butter or serve it on top of a bowl of chili. Everyone will be begging for seconds – or the recipe – so you’d better be prepared with an extra batch.
How to Make Sour Cream Cornbread
After making cornbread from a box my whole life, imagine my delight when I learned that it was just as easy to make it from scratch!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Flour – Gluten-free flour may be substituted.
- Cornmeal – this is the base for cornbread and should not be substituted.
- Sugar – Cornbread is by nature sweet, and usually includes sugar or honey.
- Baking powder – helps the batter to rise and creates a fluffy texture.
- Vegetable oil – has a neutral taste and helps keep the bread moist. You could also use melted butter for a richer flavor.
- Sour cream – Makes the cornbread moist and gives it a creamier and softer texture.
- Creamed corn – for texture and more real corn flavor.
- Eggs – binds the ingredients together and makes the batter fluffier.
If you want to up the ante on the flavor, try adding some shredded cheddar or diced jalapenos.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. The higher temperature with give you a crispy exterior with a moist and tender interior.
Mix. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder, and in another bowl, the oil, sour cream, creamed corn and eggs. Mix the wet and dry together just until barely combined.
Bake. Grease a 10-inch round pan or skillet, pour the batter in, and bake for about 25 minutes.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Don’t overmix or you’ll wind up with super dense cornbread. Just mix the wet and dry ingredients together until the powder from the flour is no longer visible.
- No need to garnish, just serve as it.
- Let the cornbread cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Warm cornbread is delicious, but it will crumble if you remove it from the pan too soon.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature. Let your cornbread cool fully before storing.
Absolutely! Wrap cooled cornbread tightly in plastic wrap, then store in a plastic freezer bag. Freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw to serve.
What goes with cornbread?
Anything that feels like comfort food goes with cornbread! Soups, stews, chili, casseroles, you name it!
- Hamburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- White Bean, Sausage & Kale Soup
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Pork Stew Recipe
Sour Cream Cornbread
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 15 ounces canned creamed corn
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oil, sour cream, creamed corn and eggs until well combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, just until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or 8-9” square pan that you’ve sprayed with cooking spray). Bake at 425 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into triangles or squares and serving.