This chicken taco casserole is a must for your busy weeknight meal plan. With a shredded chicken and black bean base, creamy taco spiced cheese sauce and all your favorite taco fixings this casserole will have your entire dinner table reaching for seconds.
Chicken Taco Casserole Ingredients
With just 8 ingredients, you can make this chicken taco casserole and have plenty of leftovers.
- Shredded chicken breast – Use a store bought rotisserie chicken for simplicity or use one of our easy recipes for shredded chicken.
- Cream of chicken soup adds creaminess to the sauce; you can make it from scratch if you want.
- Sour cream – more creaminess and a little tang.
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles, like Rotel for a little heat.
- Black beans make this casserole extra hearty and filling.
- Taco seasoning – use a packet of the store bought, or give our homemade taco seasoning a try.
- Tortilla chips, crushed to form a crunchy crust on top.
- Cheddar cheese, freshly grated for the best taste and texture.
- Garnish the top with some sliced jalapenos, fresh tomato and cilantro afterwards.
How to Make Chicken Taco Casserole
Everyone loves tacos, and this simple casserole tacos everyone’s favorite meal and makes it even easier. There is very little prep, about 30 minutes to baking, and you can have this chicken taco casserole on the dinner table in about 45 minutes.
- Shred some chicken. Check out our guide to slow cooker shredded chicken or instant pot shredded chicken. Or, poach 2-3 chicken breasts in boiling water and shred with two forks. But the quickest way to get shredded chicken fast is using a ready to go rotisserie.
- Mix the filling. Combine the prepared chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, diced tomatoes, black beans, taco seasoning mix and half of the shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl. Use a spoon and stir until fully incorporated, paying special attention to the cream of chicken soup. Make sure all of the chicken is saturated and that all the flavors are evenly distributed.
- Bake. Spread the mixture evenly in a greased 9×13 baking dish and top with remaining cheddar cheese and crumbled tortilla chips. Add tomato, jalapeno and cilantro for a pop of freshness. Bake for about 30 minutes or until that cheesy crust is bubbling and golden.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- If you find your chips are getting too dark, but the center isn’t done you can loosely tent some foil over the top while the casserole finishes.
- Freshly grated cheese is the way to go. The shredded cheese has a coating to keep it from sticking together but that also keeps it from melting nicely.
- Add some heat by using extra spicy taco seasoning, or adding jalapenos into the chicken mixture.
- To really change things up, you can swap out the chicken for shredded beef or pulled pork.
How to Serve Chicken Taco Casserole
This casserole is so filling, and can easily be served as a meal on it’s own. However, if you’re looking to serve it with side items I love serving this over white or brown rice, or try our Cilantro Lime Rice or Mexican Rice. This recipe is also great with fresh mango salsa and homemade tortilla chips.
Make Ahead and Storage
Make Ahead: This recipe is perfect for meal prepping ahead of time. Simply prepare the casserole as directed and store in the fridge until you are ready to bake, up to 24 hours in advance. Just don’t add the tortilla chips until right before you place it in the oven, so they will stay extra crispy. When you are ready to make your casserole, bake as directed and no one will know you made it ahead of time!
Storing leftovers: To store this easy chicken taco casserole, cover with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container. Keep this in the fridge for up to four days.
It heats up really well, but I like to remove the old tortilla chips and replace them with fresh ones.
More Mexican Recipes to Try
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Loaded Chicken Nachos
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Arroz con Pollo
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
Chicken Taco Casserole
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 20 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup 2 10-ounce cans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 ounce canned diced tomatoes with green chiles like Rotel
- 15 ounce canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning 2 tablespoons
- 5 cups tortilla chips crushed
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish by coating with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, canned diced tomatoes and green chiles, black beans, taco seasoning and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese until fully incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, fresh tomato, jalapeños and cilantro.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the chips are golden brown and the casserole is bubbly throughout.
- Serve with additional fresh cilantro if desired.