Spinach Artichoke Chicken has a tender, juicy baked chicken breast topped with creamy spinach artichoke dip. Creamy, savory, juicy and flavorful, all in one delicious bite.
If you’re not sure about artichokes and spinach, I promise this recipe will change your mind! I like to serve this spinach artichoke baked chicken with a simple Spinach Salad and Garlic Bread for a complete meal that’s full of flavor.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken Recipe
My very favorite appetizer, and the first I ever really perfected, is Spinach Artichoke Dip. It’s the first thing to disappear every time I make it for holiday gatherings. I’ve even spread it onto crescent dough and made spinach artichoke pinwheels with it.
Since baked chicken is our most popular recipe ever shared, I’m always thinking of new variations. I can’t believe it took me this long to put my two favorites together! I’ve put artichokes and chicken together before in this Artichoke Dip, and I love them in a Grilled Salmon Salad, but now that my favorite dip and my favorite chicken have been married together in this artichoke chicken there’s no going back.
This is a simple meal to whip up on a weeknight, but it’s also classy and elegant enough to serve to company. If you don’t like spinach, you can totally leave that out but I promise you really can’t taste it.
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Chicken
Artichoke chicken is as simple as it gets in just three easy steps.
- Pound the chicken breasts. You want your chicken breasts to be similar in size so they will cook evenly. Pound them lightly between two sheets of plastic wrap and with a meat mallet if necessary and be sure to season your chicken with salt and pepper before topping.
- Make the spinach artichoke topping. Drain and chop a can of artichokes and chop up some fresh spinach. Mix them with some parmesan cheese, mayo, and garlic powder. Trust me on the mayo – you can’t taste it and it makes this artichoke chicken so juicy. Arrange the chicken in a large baking dish.
- Top with cheese and bake. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until the chicken is cooked through. Your meat thermometer will come in handy here because chicken needs to be cooked to at least 165 degrees F. You also don’t want to overcook it.
If you don’t want the extra Mozzarella on top you can leave it off, but I do love the bubbly golden crust it gives. Add some fresh basil or parsley as a garnish for color and serve up this spinach artichoke chicken with your favorite sides. We love it with Garlic Green Beans, Olive Garden Salad, or Roasted Vegetables.
Eat More Chicken!
I told you how much we love baked chicken breasts. They are a nice and lean protein and can be made so many different ways. Even though Artichoke Chicken is our new favorite, we still love the old classic varieties like Baked Honey Mustard Chicken, Sesame Chicken sheet pan dinner, Baked Salsa Chicken.
Spinach Artichoke Chicken
- 15 ounce can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup chopped fresh spinach packed
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts 3-4 breasts, lightly pounded to even thickness
- 1 cup freshly grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine artichokes, spinach, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken side by side in the baking dish and spread the artichoke mixture on top. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and flip on the broiler and cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is browned and chicken is cooked through. Watch closely so it doesn't get too brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.