This easy cheesy Baked Salsa Chicken is the perfect main course. With only five ingredients, this easy dinner requires less than 10 minutes of prep and bakes in under 30 minutes!
Salsa chicken recipe
Ashley here from Spoonful of Flavor to bring you an easy dinner recipe that requires only a few ingredients – chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, and cheese! Simple to prepare, but incredibly flavorful, salsa chicken will be your new favorite weeknight go-to.
The chicken requires less than 10 minutes of prep and will be on your dinner table in less than 40 minutes. Serve it with a simple side dish, like Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower, Mexican Black Beans or Mexican Rice for a complete meal or prep it for lunch and enjoy it over Brown Rice.
How to make baked salsa chicken
This recipe can’t get any easier. Baked salsa chicken is a quick and easy dinner recipe and tastes great as leftovers.
- Gather your ingredients. chicken breasts, taco seasoning, salsa, and cheese! We like to use homemade taco seasoning and a mix of cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese.
- Prep. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and spread 1/2 cup of the salsa evenly on the bottom. Place the chicken breasts in a single layer over the top of the salsa. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and then top with the remaining salsa.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the cooked chicken and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. The cheese will be melted and bubbly. The chicken is done when a digital meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatballs reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit..
- Serve. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then top with sour cream and chopped green onions, then serve with your favorite easy side dish!
Freezing salsa chicken
Since the dish requires only a few minutes of prep before baking, we recommend freezing the chicken and other ingredients before cooking.
To freeze, place the uncooked chicken in a freezer bag and add the taco seasoning. Give it a shake to coat the chicken, then seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Next, pour the salsa and the shredded cheese into individual small freezer bags. Place the 3 bags together in a large freezer bag to keep everything together. Freeze until ready to use; up to 6 months.
Once you are ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, assemble with the salsa on top and then bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Top with cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Here are some other easy baked chicken dinners to try:
- Baked Chicken Meatballs
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
- BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
- Baked Caprese Chicken
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Baked Salsa Chicken
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (one 15 ounce jar)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream for garnish
- Green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray and spread 1/2 cup of the salsa evenly on the bottom.
- Place the chicken breasts in a single layer on top of the salsa. Sprinkle taco seasoning on top of the chicken breasts and top with remaining salsa.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear.
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly with the cheese and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sour cream and green onions and serve.
- Store the salsa chicken in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.