This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is a delicious and easy chicken dinner recipe made in minutes in the Instant Pot. If you love chicken drenched in barbecue sauce, then you will love this shredded version; perfect for sandwiches, wraps, or just on its own.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Summertime calls for easy recipes and there is nothing easy than making chicken in the Instant Pot. BBQ Chicken is perfect for picnics and get togethers and is always a crowd-pleaser. This is the perfect recipe to serve alongside cheesy potatoes, macaroni and cheese, or potato salad!
Amanda here from Old House to New Home, sharing a perfectly easy and delicious summertime recipe for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken. This chicken recipe is so versatile and can be used in so many ways. My family loves it wrapped up in easy bbq chicken wraps, but it is great as a sandwich, too!
I have a secret ingredient in this recipe that is subtle but adds just enough extra flavor that makes people wonder what makes this chicken so good! I add 2 tablespoons of Italian dressing to my sauce mixture and it adds some zip and pizazz!
This Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is a recipe that you will make again and again! Everyone loves bbq chicken and you will be happy to make it again and again since it is so easy!
How to make BBQ Chicken in the Instant Pot
I use my basic shredded chicken recipe to make this BBQ chicken. You add chicken to your Instant Pot, season well, add your liquids and then cook. Since BBQ sauce has a lot of sugar, you wait to add the majority of it until the end so you don’t get the burn message!
- Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with spices and add them to the Instant Pot.
- Whisk together chicken broth, Italian dressing, and 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce, then pour it over the chicken.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook using th manual function button or the pressure cook function for 6 minutes. Once cooked, let natural release.
- Release pressure naturally, then add remaining bbq sauce and shred the chicken directly in the pot using two forks.
What type of BBQ sauce is best for BBQ Chicken?
I use store bought bbq sauce in this recipe, but you could certainly use homemade if you’d prefer. There are so many great store bought versions though right now that you can’t go wrong! Sweet Baby Ray’s is always one of my favorites if you are looking for a new go to brand!
BBQ is a great starter for a variety of different meals. Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Pile the bbq chicken onto sandwiches and top with crunchy coleslaw.
- Wrap chicken in tortillas with lettuce, cheese and tomatoes, and a drizzle of ranch dressing.
- Stir the bbq chicken into a big pan of creamy mac and cheese with some caramelized red onion and cilantro.
- Spread BBQ sauce on pizza crust and top with mozzarella cheese, bbq chicken and red onions.
What to do with leftovers
Instant Pot BBQ chicken holds up really well in the freezer, so I often make a double batch so I can freeze half of it in individual portions for use in lunches later. Allow to cool, then portion into freezer bags and freeze for up to 6 months.
If you plan to eat leftovers within 3-4 days, you can keep chicken in a sealed container in the fridge.
More easy chicken dinners to try:
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetables Sheet Pan Dinner
- One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Pulled Chicken (Crockpot BBQ Chicken)
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce divided
- 2 tbsp Italian Dressing
- Season chicken with the spices. Add chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Whisk together the broth, dressing, and 1/2 cup of the bbq sauce. Pour over chicken.
- Set Instant Pot to pressure cook using the manual button or the pressure cook function. Set to 6 minutes. Let cook then natural release.
- Once all pressure is released, add remaining bbq sauce and shred. Serve as desired.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes?
Amanda blogs at Old House to New Home where she shares easy ways to eat, create, and decorate, all while raising two young girls! Amanda is a Spanish teacher, wife to a great husband, and mommy to the two most beautiful little girls! Amanda loves food, traveling, and transforming their 115 year old house into their home.