Last updated on
Try this tropical twist on a classic favorite! Coconut Banana Bread with Orange Glaze has coconut flavor baked in and a bright, sweet orange glaze on top!
Probably my all-time favorite treat is banana bread. One of the best things about it is how versatile it is.
You can switch things up and add a new twist on a classic, like adding smooth, melted chocolate in my Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread, or using whole wheat and adding peanut butter in my Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Peanut Maple Frosting.
This Coconut Banana Bread with Orange Glaze is my newest rendition and is perfect for spring with its bright, citrus and tropical tones.
You start out with a classic banana bread recipe, but instead of using vegetable oil or butter, you use coconut oil and add some shredded coconut to the batter. After baking, you mix up a simple orange glaze and drizzle it on the top.
How to make Coconut Banana Bread with Orange Glaze
- The first thing you’ll do is mash three bananas and then stir in some baking powder and baking soda. They’ll get all bubbly and frothy.
- Next, you’ll cream some coconut oil with sugar. No need to melt the coconut oil before measuring.
- Then you’ll add some eggs and blend those well with the sugar and coconut oil.
- Alternate adding flour and salt with water and stir well after each addition.
- Finally, add the mashed bananas and fold in some shredded coconut.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50-60 minutes (30 minutes for small pans, 60 for large bread pans).
- Once the bread is cooled, stir together some powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice and drizzle it over the top. Sprinkle with more shredded coconut if desired.
This bread is so moist and tender. I love the addition of the coconut oil. The orange glaze brings it all over the top with its tangy, citrus flavor. This bread is perfect for an Easter breakfast or Mother’s Day brunch. Be sure to add it to your menu!
Try these other homemade bread recipes:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Caramel Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Pineapple Bread
- Honey Oat Quick Bread
- Cinnamon Apple Monkey Bread
Coconut Banana Bread with Orange Glaze
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut plus more for sprinkling on top if desired
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- Add baking soda and baking powder to the mashed bananas and stir.
- Mix sugar and coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of flour plus ½ tsp. salt to the batter and mix well.
- Alternate adding the other two cups of flour with the ½ cup of water to the batter. Stir well after each addition.
- Add the bananas and mix well.
- Gently fold in the ½ cup of shredded coconut.
- Grease and flour a large (9×5) bread pan, or 4-5 small bread pans.
- Pour the batter into pan(s) and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes for a large loaf, or about 30 minutes for the small loaves. After the minimum amount of time, insert a knife to see if it comes out clean. If not, bake the bread longer. The top crust should be nice and golden brown. Let bread cool for at least half an hour before removing from the pan(s). Once cooled completely, mix together the powdered sugar, orange zest, and orange juice and drizzle over the top of the bread. Sprinkle immediately with shredded coconut if desired.
For more great spring and tropical-themed foods, try these!