My French Onion Chicken Casserole is creamy and delicious and topped with crispy, crunchy fried onion strips. It’s the perfect weeknight meal for when you’re really craving delicious comfort food!
I have been tossing this recipe around in my head for about a month now, and I finally put pen to paper and wrote it all out. Chicken casseroles are one of my favorite comfort food meals, and casseroles are great for feeding your family during the week because you can whip it up in the morning or the night before and just slide it into the oven when you’re ready. This French Onion Chicken Casserole makes a ton, so it’s great for when you have company coming and they’re expecting something delicious.
I am always on the lookout for new chicken casserole recipe to try, but I often find they are made with cream of something soup in a can. Now, there’s nothing wrong with using this shortcut if you’re short on time, but why not take the extra few minutes and make it from scratch? That’s just what I did in my Turkey and Stuffing casserole recipe, and I did it again for this French Onion Chicken Casserole.
How to Make French Onion Chicken Casserole
To make this chicken casserole recipe, here are the main ingredients you’ll need:
- Chicken broth, flour and milk for the cream sauce
- Sour cream
- Onion soup mix (make it from scratch HERE)
- Cooked and diced chicken
- Green beans
- Pasta (I used tri-color Rotini, because it’s pretty.
- French’s Crispy Fried Onions (aff)
Gather up all of those ingredients and start boiling a pot of water for the pasta. A smallish, bite-sized pasta, like rotini or penne works best for this chicken casserole. While the pasta is boiling, start making the cream of chicken sauce. This is super simple – boil some chicken broth with a little milk and while that’s simmering, whisk together flour and more milk in a separate bowl. Add it to the simmering chicken broth. It will get nice and thick as it continues to boil.
Combine the cream of chicken sauce with sour cream and a packet of onion soup mix and set aside. By now the past should be cooked to al dente and drained, so go ahead and stir the pasta, chicken and green beans into the sauce so it’s all well combined and coated. Pour it all into a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and top with the crispy fried onions and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are crispy and golden brown.
You’ll want to let your French Onion Chicken Casserole sit for several minutes to cool, which is a great time to whip up a quick salad to serve on the side!
French Onion Chicken Casserole
My French Onion Chicken Casserole is creamy and delicious and topped with crispy, crunchy fried onion strips. It's the perfect weeknight meal for when you're really craving delicious comfort food!
Yield 8-10 servings
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 3 cups diced chicken
- 2 15-ounce cans green beans, drained (or 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen)
- 12 ounces uncooked rotini
- 2 cups french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil over medium-high heat. Add the pasta and cook to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken broth and half a cup of milk to a simmer. While the broth is coming to a simmer, whisk together flour and remaining 1 cup of milk in a small bowl until thick and smooth. Pour into the saucepan with the broth and continue whisking over low heat while it simmers. Continue to whisk until thickened; about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine thickened chicken broth mixture, sour cream and onion soup mix until well mixed. Add chicken, noodles and green beans and stir to coat completely. Pour into a large baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Uncover and top with the french fried onions; bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until onions are crispy and golden brown.
- Cool for several minutes. Garnish with fresh minced parsley if desired.
Here’s another delicious chicken casserole that we love:
For even more amazing chicken casserole recipes, try these:
- Chicken Parmesan Baked Ziti
- Creamy Chicken, Bacon & Ranch Baked Spaghetti
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole