This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamy Dorito Chicken Casserole is an easy dinner recipe your whole family will love. Full of cheesy Doritos chips and a creamy mix of chicken, tomatoes, corn and cheese.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Doritos Chicken Casserole
- Cooked chicken – You need 3 cups of shredded chicken breasts, and you can use Poached Chicken, Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken, or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. The simplest way I’ve found is to pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store and pluck the meat off. You’ll get 4-5 cups and can freeze what you don’t use.
- Doritos – For this cheesy dish, I use Nacho Cheese Doritos. You can mix it up with a favorite flavor, like Taco flavored or Cool Ranch Doritos.
- Sour cream – I prefer full fat sour cream for texture and flavor, but plain Greek yogurt could be substituted.
- Condensed cream of chicken soup – Cream of mushroom soup can be substituted.
- Rotel tomatoes – A small can of diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Corn – Canned or frozen. If you have fresh available to you, go ahead and use that. The 1 can of corn equals about 1.5 cups.
- Spices – Cumin and chili powder.
- Cheddar and Jack cheeses – I highly recommend freshly grated cheese because the pre-shredded has a coating that prevents melting.
How to Make Doritos Chicken Casserole
My Doritos Chicken Casserole recipe features a spicy, creamy chicken base with a crunchy Doritos topping for great texture.
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- Preheat the oven and grease a large casserole dish.
- Crush the chips and spread half of them in the bottom of the casserole.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream, cream soup, Rotel, corn, spices and half of the cheeses.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the Doritos in the prepared baking dish, then top with the rest of the crushed chips and the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Rest for 5-10 minutes.
My Doritos Chicken Casserole is super creamy and cheesy. While we love this casserole just on it’s own and usually just serve a green salad on the side, there are a few ways we like to mix things up.
- Serve it over white or brown rice.
- Mix in some cooked pasta, like rotini, before baking.
- Baked potatoes topped with cheesy Doritos Casserole are amazing!
- Change up the flavor by using hot or mild Rotel, or different flavors of Doritos chips.
- Make it extra creamy by adding a little softened cream cheese to the chicken mixture.
- Add a southwestern flair with some taco seasoning and black beans.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Leftover chicken casserole should be stored in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for 3-4 days.
Freezing: To freeze, place the leftover casserole in a freezer bag and press out as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 6 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
Reheating: Reheat in the oven, uncovered, at the same temperature, or in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.
More Casserole Recipes
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Ham & Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Creamy Potato, Corn & Bacon Casserole
Doritos Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast like from a rotisserie chicken
- 15 ounce bag Nacho Cheese Dorito chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 20 ounces (2 cans) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 10 ounce Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 15 ounce Can corn drained (or 1.5 cups frozen/fresh)
- 1 cup Freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- Optional garnish: fresh diced tomatoes and thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crush chips and place half of them on the bottom of your casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, soup mix, Rotel, corn, cumin, chili powder and half of each of the cheeses. Fold in the shredded chicken until well combined.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the chips in the baking dish. Top with the remain chips and cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes, top with optional garnish and serve.