This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Honey Lemon Chicken and Green Beans Stir Fry has a ton of flavor and can have dinner on the table in just 20 minutes!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Meal
Lemon chicken is just one of those dinner recipes that just about everyone enjoys. It’s always been a favorite of mine, although the same old thing can get boring.
Introducing the opposite of boring – Honey Lemon Chicken and Green Beans Stir Fry. This dish has got it all! Crunchy green beans, tender, flavorful chicken, and a sweet and tart honey lemon stir fry sauce that coats every bite.
Chicken breast – Boneless and skinless, cut into chunks. Don’t make the pieces too small or they will cook too quickly and become dry.
Marinade – Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Green beans – Ends trimmed and beans cut into 2-3 inch pieces.
Stir Fry Sauce – Chicken broth, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, ground ginger, red pepper flakes, minced garlic.
How to Make Lemon Chicken and Green Beans
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- Marinate the chicken. Whisk the marinade together and combine with the chicken pieces in a resealable plastic bag in the fridge for about 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours.
- Cook the green beans over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. They should turn a bright green and be tender-crisp. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook the chicken. Add chicken and marinade to a hot skillet and cook until internal temp is 160℉, turning occasionally to brown on all sides.
- Thicken the sauce. Heat the sauce in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer for several minutes until it thickens.
- Combine. Add the green beans and chicken to the pan and toss with the sauce.
- Roll the lemon gently on the counter to release the juices before cutting. Zest first, then slice.
- Cut chicken as evenly as possible for even cooking. Cut chunks into 2-inch pieces.
- Fresh are best, but frozen and thawed green beans can be used and wouldn’t need to be cooked as long.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Crockpot Orange Chicken
- Honey Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Chinese Lemon Chicken
Honey Lemon Chicken and Green Beans
Honey Lemon Chicken and Green Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces (2 large chicken breasts)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 12 ounces green beans trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- Honey Lemon Sauce see below
Honey Lemon Sauce:
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Juice and zest from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup honey or more/less to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Combine the chicken, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in a large zip-top bag, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. (If no time to marinate, just toss the chicken, soy sauce and vinegar in a small bowl and let sit while you prep the rest of the recipe).
- In a small bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients together until combined (cornstarch should no longer be visible). Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and season with a pinch of salt. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, until beans are bright green but still crisp. Transfer to a large plate or bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the chicken from the bag into the hot skillet. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and saute for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink, stirring and turning the chicken occasionally for even browning. Using a slotted spoon, add the chicken to the plate with the green beans.
- Pour the whisked honey lemon sauce into the empty saute pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce reaches a low boil and thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking (salt, pepper, honey, lemon).
- Add the chicken and green beans back into the pan and toss until evenly coated with the sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.