Lemon Lovers, this Lemon Bundt Cake is for you! It starts with lemon cake mix, plus added lemon juice AND zest plus a unique glazing technique to lock in even more lemon flavor. It’s an intensely flavored cake that will knock out the competition.
When I set out to make this cake, I basically just was planning on using the recipe listed on the back of the Betty Crocker Lemon Cake Mix, which call for lemon flavored pudding mix, eggs, water and oil. I did that, but I replaced about ⅓ of the water with lemon juice, and added a bunch of lemon zest. I’m kind of lemon obsessed so this was smelling pretty amazing to me as it baked.
I had planned to drizzle on a powdered sugar/lemon glaze but halfway through making said glaze I realized I was out of powdered sugar. I’d already mixed the lemon juice in with what I had so there was no turning back. What I ended up with was more of a syrup, which turned out to be the best thing to happen to this cake. I poured the syrup over the cake, letting it soak into the top, sides and even the bottom, then brushed on the rest.
The final effect is some lemon zest that has been sort of “candied” (mixed with sugar and left to sit). I just arranged (i.e. dropped) it onto the top of the cake. So as the syrup glaze dried, it hardened ever so slightly. What this did was retain moisture in the Lemon Bundt Cake, making it super tender and moist with a slight crunch on the outside. It was amazing folks!
I served it with fresh raspberries and a garnish of mint for color. It’s great with fresh strawberries or even a strawberry sauce. Perfect for spring or summer and full of lemony freshness, this cake is a real winner!
Lemon Bundt CakePrint Pin Rate
- 1 package lemon cake mix
- 1 package instant lemon pudding & pie filling
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a Bundt pan generously with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lemon cake mix, instant lemon pudding, eggs, vegetable oil, water and lemon zest at medium speed for 2 minutes. Mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before turning out onto a cake plate.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon zest and granulated sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside until cake is cooled.
- To make the glaze, combine 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar with 4 tablespoons lemon juice. Whisk together until sugar is completely dissolved and drizzle over the cake in layers, allowing the syrup to soak into the cake a bit before adding more. (Pro-tip - for a more accurate application of the syrup use a pastry brush). Top with the lemon-sugar mixture.
- Slice and serve. Garnish with raspberries, if desired.
Love this Lemon Bundt Cake Recipe? Try these:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.