This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Oreo ice cream cake is a fast and easy, cool summer treat. Delicious layers of chocolate cake, Oreo ice cream, whipped topping, and hot fudge come together quickly for an impressive celebration – cake and ice cream, in one slice!
There are only 30 minutes of prep time needed and it uses simple ingredients! I love that the cake can be made in advance and stored in the freezer.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Simple Ingredients – You only need 5 ingredients (plus what the box cake mix calls for)!
- Cool Summer Treat – Ice cream cake is our favorite in the summer!
- Fun Layers – The layers make the cake look impressive but it’s so easy to make!
Ingredients For Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Only simple, easy-to-find ingredients are needed!
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix + Ingredients on Box – I used Duncan Hines brand. If you have a favorite chocolate cake recipe, yo can use that if you prefer.
- Oreo Ice Cream – Use your favorite!
- Jarred Hot Fudge Topping
- Frozen Whipped Topping – This is sold in a tub in the freezer section but you’ll need to thaw it first.
- Oreo Cookies
- Optional For Decorating – Extra Oreo cookies, chocolate cake chunks, extra hot fudge topping, Maraschino cherries
How To Make Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
Making an ice cream cake is easier than you think and you can make it in advance!
Make Cake – Bake the cake as directed on the box using two 9” or 10” round cake pans. Let the cake cool for a 20-30 minutes, then wrap individually in plastic wrap and pop into the fridge or freezer to cool completely.
You’ll only need one of them for this cake, so wrap the other and leave ni the fridge or freezer to use later.
Prep Pan and Begin to Assemble – Line a springform pan with plastic wrap. No worries if your cake round is bigger than your pan, you can trim it to fit. Press one of the cakes into the bottom of the pan and spread hot fudge on top. Freeze for 10 minutes.
Layer Ingredients – Freeze for 10 minutes then spread the softened ice cream over the top.
Smooth Ice Cream Layer – Use the plastic wrap to press the layers together.
Layer Ingredients – Top with whipped topping and crushed Oreos. Freeze for 3 hours or until fully solid.
Decorate and Garnish – When you’re ready to enjoy, remove the cake from the pan and remove the plastic wrap. Place on a platter and decorate with swirls of whipped cream, Oreos, cherries and drizzles of fudge.
An Oreo ice cream cake is made from 5 simple ingredients: chocolate cake, oreo ice cream, hot fudge topping, whipped topping, and Oreo cookies!
Yes they are the same thing! Cookies and cream ice cream is a way to say the flavor without mentioning the specific brand.
If you’re bringing an ice cream cake to a party, you can transport it in a cooler with ice to keep it cold. If you’re traveling a short distance then you can use regular ice. But for slightly longer travel, I recommend ice packs as they last longer and don’t melt into water. For extra long travel time, you can use dry ice.
Store leftover cake in the freezer, tightly wrapped, for about 2 weeks. Long term storage is not recommended, as the ice cream will form crystals.
- Second Cake – The second cake can be saved for another purpose if you don’t want to cut it into chunks to garnish the cake. You could also use it to make a second ice cream cake for a large party.
- Square Cake Pan – This cake can also be prepared in a 9” square cake pan. Serve by cutting into thin rectangular slices.
- Pack Ice Cream Firmly – Be sure to pack the ice cream in firmly to eliminate any large air bubbles or gaps between the cake and the edges of the pan.
- Keep Frozen – Keep the cake frozen until ready to serve. Put any leftover cake in the freezer immediately after serving.
- Easier Cutting – If it freezes hard and you have a difficult time cutting it, dip a large knife in very hot water to warm the blade between each slice.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Homemade Peach Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- How to Make Chocolate Ice Cream
- No Churn Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- No Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix plus ingredients needed to prepare it
- 1 ½ quart Cookies and Cream ice cream
- 1 jar hot fudge topping
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- 4 Oreo cookies
Optional for decorating
- Oreo cookies
- Chocolate cake chunks
- Hot fudge topping
- Maraschino cherries
- Prepare cake mix as directed, in two 9” or 10” round cake pans. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and cool completely in fridge or freezer. Allow ice cream to soften at room temperature until soft enough to spread. Crush 4 Oreos in a plastic zip top bag.
- Line a springform pan, or clean high sided cake pan, with plastic wrap. If the cake is bigger than the springform pan, trim to fit, using the pan as a guide.
- Press one of the cakes into the bottom of the prepared springform pan. Spread a thin layer of hot fudge over the cake. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Scoop and spread the softened ice cream over the cake and hot fudge, using plastic wrap to press the layers together firmly. Top with whipped topping and crushed cookies. Freeze until solid, about 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove from springform pan and remove plastic wrap. Place on serving platter. Decorate the top of the cake with any of the following: more Oreo cookies, chunks of the extra cake, hot fudge, stemmed cherries. Serve immediately.
- The second cake can be saved for another purpose if you don’t want to cut it into chunks to garnish the cake. You could also use it to make a second ice cream cake for a large party.
- This cake can also be prepared in a 9” square cake pan. Serve by cutting into thin rectangular slices. Be sure to pack the ice cream in firmly to eliminate any large air bubbles or gaps between the cake and the edges of the pan.
- Keep the cake frozen until ready to serve. Put any leftover cake in the freezer immediately after serving. If it freezes hard and you have a difficult time cutting it, dip a large knife in very hot water to warm the blade between each slice.