This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Cake is super easy to make, infinitely customizable, and perfect for all your summer parties. Layers of chocolate brownie, two flavors of ice cream, & whipped cream topping will have everyone oohing and ahhing!
Why We Love Ice Cream Cake
Ice cream cake is probably my favorite summer dessert, and this strawberry ice cream cake recipe is my new go-to recipe. It has a fudgy brownie bottom, layers of vanilla and strawberry ice cream, and is topped with whipped cream and fresh berries.
The fudgy brownie bottom, layers of ice cream, and fresh berries make this cake completely delicious and indulgent. Plus, you’ll love how simple and easy the recipe is. So if you’re looking for the perfect summer dessert for birthdays, BBQs, or potlucks – then this strawberry ice cream cake is definitely for you.
How To Make Ice Cream Cake
- Make a batch of brownies and bake them in a 9-inch springform pan. I used a box mix for this. I also have a delicious and simple homemade Homemade Brownies recipe that you could use instead.
- Take your vanilla ice cream out of the freezer to soften a bit.
- Scoop about 16-20 scoops of softened ice cream on top of the cooled brownie and spread flat.
- Place the cake in the freezer to harden up a bit.
- Take the strawberry ice cream out of the freezer to soften up. Then scoop the softened strawberry ice cream over top of the vanilla ice cream, and spread flat. (Check out the photo below).
- Pop it back in the freezer and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Customize The Flavors
You can customize your cake recipe with your 2 favorite flavors of ice cream, or just use one type of ice cream and make one layer that’s twice as thick. I’m pretty fond of this vanilla and strawberry combination though.
Here are a few other combinations we love:
- Orange 50/50: Blondies base, vanilla ice cream, and orange sherbet.
- Triple Chocolate: Chocolate brownie base, chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce swirled between the layers.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry: Brownie base, strawberry ice cream, and chocolate ice cream.
How To Serve
Garnish the cake with whipped cream or whipped topping and fresh strawberries. A little fudge drizzle adds a lovely final touch.
When you’re ready to serve, take a thin knife and trace between the sides of the pan and the side of the cake. Then unclip the springform to release the cake. To cut the cake, use a sharp large knife to make 8-10 slices.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep frozen. It will last about a month. If storing in a deep freezer, you might want to let the cake sit out for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Dip your knife in a cup of hot water first so that it’s easier to cut through the frozen ice cream.
- I don’t usually frost ice cream topped cakes, but you could spread on a buttercream frosting while the cake is frozen.
- For more strawberry flavor, add a layer of strawberry sauce or strawberry jam in between the cake layers.
Easy Ice Cream Recipes
- No Churn Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- No Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Pina Colada Ice Cream
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- Brownie mix + ingredients to prepare brownies choose a box that makes 8×8 or 9×9 inch square brownies
- 1- quart vanilla ice cream
- 1- quart strawberry ice cream
- 4 oz strawberries sliced, for garnish
- whipped cream for garnish
- fudge sauce for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line the bottom of a 9 inch round springform pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownies according to box instructions.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes. (It’ll be slightly shorter than the time on the box for an 8-inch x 8-inch or 9-inch x 9-inch square pan).
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool fully.
- Remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes.
- Scoop ice cream and place on top of the brownie bottom. Smooth using a flat knife or spatula.
- Place in the freezer to harden for 1 hour.
- Remove the strawberry ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften for about 15-20 minutes.
- Take the ice cream cake out of the freezer and scoop the strawberry ice cream on top of the vanilla ice cream. Smooth the top flat.
- Place the cake in the freezer to harden for 2 hours (or longer).
- To serve, decorate with whipped cream, berries & fudge sauce.