This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This fudgy homemade brownies recipe has only 6 ingredients and come together quickly with just one bowl and a spoon. Super fudgy, rich and full of chocolate flavor this is the best brownie recipe!Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why You Should Make Them
- Only 6 Ingredients – These ingredients are regularly on my shopping list for baking some of my favorite recipes, like Chocolate Chip Muffins or Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake.
- It’s a One-Bowl Brownie Recipe – The few ingredients are mixed together in one large bowl to simplify the process.
- 10 Minutes of Prep – The whole process can be done in 10 minutes, then about 30-35 minutes baking time, giving you fresh, ooey, gooey brownies in under an hour.
How To Make Brownies from Scratch
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in a large bowl in 30-second intervals until smooth.
- Beat in sugar, vanilla, and eggs until well combined, then stir in flour.
- Pour the batter into a square baking dish and bake at 350℉ for about 35 minutes.
While it’s not a terrible idea to let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes, it’s not necessary. You are ready to bake as soon as the batter is spread into the pan.
Use the toothpick trick! Stick a toothpick into the center of the pan of hot from the oven brownies. If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are ready. If there is some wet batter on the toothpick, they need more time.
Also, brownies don’t always “look” done. They should be cooked and dry looking around the edges, and they may still look alight underdone in the middle. This is fine! They will continue to cook and firm up as they sit.
A good rule of thumb when mixing brownie batter, cake batter, or cookie dough is to stop mixing when the last of the flour disappears. Always mix by hand, and use a wooden spoon to make easy work of the mixing.
Leftovers should be cooled and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
They freeze really well, and that’s a great way to stock up and always have brownies on hand! In fact, I often will make a double batch and freeze the second for when the next craving hits!
- Use high-quality chocolate – The better the chocolate, the better the brownies. Use a high-quality chocolate chip like Ghiradelli or Guittards.
- Opt for under-baking so you don’t overbake – You can pull these out a few minutes under and be totally fine; they will firm up more as they cool and be nice and gooey in the middle. You just want to keep an eye on them because nobody wants to eat burnt brownies.
- Use a toothpick to check for doneness – As I mentioned in the FAQs above, the toothpick trick is one of the best tricks to help you know when the brownies are done. If the toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs attached, the brownies are ready.
- Ovens vary – Keep in mind that every oven is different. My oven may take 30 minutes, but yours may require an extra 5-10 minutes. Or, it may take less. I always recommend to check on your baked goods at least 5 minutes before instructed to make sure they don’t overbake.
- Baking pan – I recommend using a metal baking pan (instead of glass or ceramic) to avoid overcooking. This is the one I use and highly recommend.
Brownie Recipes to Try Next
- Magic Layer Christmas Brownies
- Strawberry Brownies
- Cosmic Brownies Recipe Copycat
- Slutty Brownies
- Cream Cheese Brownies
Homemade Brownies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted butter 1 stick
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place butter and chocolate chip in a medium size, microwaveable mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and continue microwaving and stirring in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted.
- Beat in sugar, then vanilla and eggs, until well combined.
- Stir in flour until just combined.
- Pour into a well greased 8″x8″ pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.