Strawberry Brownies are a super simple springtime dessert that comes together easily with just a few pantry ingredients (cake mix!) and some fresh strawberries.
The Best Strawberry Brownies Ever!
When I think of spring I think of butterflies and cool breezes, rainy days and flowers, and lots and lots of strawberry recipes. These epic strawberry brownies are a new favorite because they are super easy to make and so delicious. Everyone loves them!
The recipe starts with cake mix, eggs and oil. I love to add cream cheese to cake mix bars to give them super moist and creamy. These strawberry brownies are rich like a brownie, with the sweet tanginess of strawberries. I love the addition of the fresh strawberries on top because they not only just look really pretty but they add a bit of texture as well.
They are perfect for parties, baby showers and high tea because they are look so elegant. No one will know they actually came from a box of cake mix! But they are a delicious afterschool snack too. Don’t you just love a treat that is as versatile as these strawberry brownies?
Tips for Making Strawberry Brownies from a Cake Mix
- Use an electric mixer. This mixture is thick, which give the brownies their dense texture, but it does make it a little difficult to mix by hand. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer will save your arms a workout. (affiliate links)
- Don’t over mix. Over-mixing will result in a tough brownie, and no one wants that. Mix the batter just until no more of the dry powder is visible.
- Add mix-ins. For extra texture and flavor contrast, add a cup of white chocolate chips or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter and fold them in just until combined. Freeze dried strawberries would be a great addition too. Just don’t use fresh strawberries IN the batter – the moisture will keep the strawberry brownies from baking up properly.
- Strawberry tips – If you have the time, lay out the sliced strawberries on a paper towel to dry them out a little bit. Press a second towel gently on top to help with moisture.
How do you make brownies from cake mix?
Craving a dense, chewy brownie but all you have is cake mix? Follow this simple recipe to make brownies from any cake mix:
- 1 box of cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup oil or melted butter (I prefer oil)
This formula can of course be adjusted to any flavoring or fillings like lemon extract or chocolate chips.
How to store strawberry brownies
Because of their soft and creamy texture, I store these in the refrigerator. They will last up to a week if you can keep from devouring them right away.
If you love using cake mix recipe short-cuts, here are a few more to try:
- Chocolate Cake Mix Milky Way Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Mix Brownies
- Lemon Coconut Cake Mix Bars
And if strawberry recipes are what you’re after, try these:
- 1 box Strawberry cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 7x11-inch or 8-9" square baking dish with parchment paper or foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer set to medium speed, combine the strawberry cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs and cream cheese until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula. Batter will be thick, so use your fingers if necessary.
- Arrange the thinly sliced strawberries on top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until edges are starting to brown and center looks mostly set. Strawberries should be somewhat dried out.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.