This Red, White and Blue Cheese Potato Salad is the perfect side dish to amp up your summer picnic or backyard barbecue, and it’s the best thing to serve alongside some delicious Johnsonville Brats cooked on the new Sizzling Sausage Griller this Father’s Day! (sponsored)
Blue Cheese is probably my favorite cheese. I have been putting blue cheese on everything lately, from BLTs to Deviled Eggs. I had the idea for this salad at 30,000 feet, working from an airplane on the way to a conference. I was brainstorming recipes that incorporate “red, white and blue” and this Red, White and Blue Cheese Potato Salad was the perfect fit. It’s super creamy, made with mayo and sour cream, and it’s got tons of salty flavor from the blue cheese and of course bacon. Potato Salad is the perfect accompaniment to some delicious sausage and is the perfect picnic food.
I recently was given the opportunity to test out the new Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Griller, which is a fun new kitchen tool that makes a perfect gift for Dad this Father’s Day. The grill has an enclosed design that seals completely when locked so that the sausages are cooked and browned evenly, the juices and flavor don’t escape, and no drippings splatter outside the grill. Plus it’s got a thermometer built in so no more guesswork – this appliance tells you when your sausages are fully cooked!
If you happened to catch my insta-stories, we cooked up some Brats the other day with the new griller, because being the good Germans we are, brats are a family favorite. My grandma ate bratwurst at least once a month, traveling a good distance to the nearest German butcher to pick up her favorites. Once Johnsonville Brats were introduced in her grocery store, those trips became fewer and far between because she loved being able to grab them on her regular Friday shopping trips. She would have loved this sausage griller too! It works with any Johnsonville Sausage, and I saw a few new fun flavors at my grocery store, like buffalo and blue cheese! Yum!
So what did I think of it? I absolutely loved it! We usually cook sausages on the stove, which gets messy and it’s near impossible to know when they’re done. There was hardly any mess and it cleaned up quite easily. I can’t wait to use the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Griller again!
We love potato salad with our Brats, and my Red, White & Blue Cheese Potato Salad was a perfect accompaniment. Top those Brats with some creamy Dijon or sauerkraut and you’ve got the perfect summer meal that fit for a
Want more Johnsonville Sausage recipes? Check out the Johnsonville Sizzling Sausage Cookbook!
- 3 pounds red & white baby potatoes
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue Cheese
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Heat a large pot of generously salted water over high heat.
- Cut baby potatoes in half (or into bite sized chunks if using larger potatoes) and add to the boiling water. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover with the pot lid, leaving it slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Potatoes are finished when they are easily pierced with a fork. You can also cook uncovered; it may take a couple minutes longer. *Watch closely because the water can quickly boil over.
- Drain and spread potatoes in an even layer on a flat surface like a cookie sheet or cutting board. Sprinkle evenly with a teaspoon of salt. Cool to room temperature (can be done in the fridge). Do not leave sitting for too long as the starches in the potatoes can get gummy.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayo, sour cream, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Once potatoes are cooled, stir them together in a large bowl with the mayo mixture until coated. Stir in bacon, blue cheese and green onions (saving a little of the last few ingredients for garnish if desired).
- Garnish salad with additional blue cheese and green onions, if desired. Chill until ready to serve. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 4-5 days.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.
Love this Red, White & Blue Potato Salad? For more delicious summer eats, try these:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.