This Blue Cheese BLT Sandwich with Lemon Dill Mayo is your favorite, classic sandwich enhanced with sophisticated flavors, making this a sandwich you’ll want to take your time with.
What is a BLT? Bacon – Lettuce – Tomato Sandwich. It’s the most basic of sandwiches, and the purists will probably slap me on the wrist for saying this, but it’s boring. I mean, it’s bacon, so it’s got that going for it, but in the realm of sandwiches this classic isn’t anything fancy.
Now maybe that’s your thing and I shouldn’t be messing with a good thing but I did. And it was the best sandwich I’d ever had.
Before we get into the sandwich, this needs to be said. The key to a good BLT is the bacon. You want good quality bacon, cooked until it’s nice and crispy. No soggy, floppy bacon here. So this is where you spend your money, folks.
The key to this Blue Cheese BLT Sandwich is the Lemon Dill Mayo. It’s nothing short of amazing when combined with the other flavors in this sandwich. It’s pretty much just mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, fresh dill and black pepper. But it amps up the flavor to 11 people. For real.
The third component to this sandwich is the blue cheese. I don’t buy anything fancy here, just store brand will suffice. I used a lot of it, in the mayo, on top of the sandwich and on the bread. I just can’t get enough of that tangy, creamy flavor. If you’re not a fan you could leave it out, but it does pair so well with the salty, fatty bacon and the creamy freshness of the lemon dill mayo.
This may not be a sandwich you’d make for yourself every day, but why not try something new and different? You just might find that you actually enjoy deviating from the norm. I kind of love it.
Blue Cheese BLT Sandwich with Lemon Dill Mayo
Yield 2 sandwiches
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 4 slices of your favorite bread (white or sourdough are my favorite)
- 1 large, ripe tomato
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- ½ cup Blue cheese crumbles, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill and salt and pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles, pressing with a fork to break down and larger pieces.
- Toast the bread until it’s golden brown. Spread the lemon dill mayo evenly on each slice of bread.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Toasted bread with mayo, tomato, lettuce, and bacon. Top with another slice of toasted bread and sprinkle blue cheese on top. Secure with toothpicks, slice in half with a sharp knife and serve immediately.
For more delicious sandwiches, try these: