This Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwich has tender, flavorful shredded chicken coated in a quick, homemade tomato sauce sandwiched between two crisp slices of cheesy Texas Toast. If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner recipe, this is it!
Quick dinner recipes are a must for any mom to have in their back pocket. I often turn to Easy Baked French Dip Sandwiches or Ten Minute Oven Baked Tostadas and these Shredded Chicken Sandwiches have made them way up in rank on my weekly menus.
EASY SHREDDED CHICKEN PARMESAN SANDWICH
You know those moments when you have a bright idea and it turns out amazing and it’s so easy that you can’t believe it’s so amazing? This was one of those moments!
My kids take turns spending weekends with their grandma. I love it because it gives me some one on time time with each of them. It was just my daughter and I last weekend and we were searching for something for dinner. I hadn’t taken anything out of the freezer and the fridge was pretty bare. I was exhausted from car shopping (because that’s SO much fun with a 7-year old tagging along, right?) so I needed something really easy.
The week before I had cooked up a bunch of my favorite Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken, so I pulled some of that out of the freezer. I noticed a half of a package of frozen Cheesy Texas Toast and it gave me an idea. These Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches were the awesome result. You could also make chicken in the Instant Pot or simply boil it.
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED CHICKEN PARMESAN SANDWICHES ON GARLIC BREAD
Preheat the oven and bake some Cheesy Texas Toast (or other thick, sliced, garlic bread) according to package directions. We use Marzetti brand and usually by the cheesy variety that they have at our grocery store.
I cooked a quick homemade tomato sauce with a little basil and oregano and simmered it for a few minutes before adding the shredded chicken. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a small saucepan and cook some minced garlic for 30 seconds or so, until it is fragrant. Add a can of tomato sauce and some basil, oregano and onion powder to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer the sauce on low for several minutes, then stir in some shredded chicken and cook long enough just to heat the chicken.
- When it was heated through I added some fresh Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheeses. By that time the cheesy toast was nice and hot and crispy, so I just scooped out the chicken onto the toast, sprinkled some more cheese on top and melted it under the broiler. A little fresh parsley was the finishing touch. Basil would also add a nice flavor.
SHREDDED CHICKEN PARMESAN SANDWICH RECIPE NOTES
- This recipe will make enough for 2 sandwiches. If you’re feeding a family of 4 or more, you will want to increase the amounts accordingly.
- If you’re a fan of sliders, this recipe would translate perfectly to slider form. Use pre-baked garlic rolls, or just dinner rolls and spread a garlic butter mixture on top.
- I made the quick tomato sauce myself for two reasons. It was just my daughter and I so I only needed two sandwiches, and I didn’t have any other sauce on hand. If you are making a large batch of sandwiches, you could use a 24-ounce jar of spaghetti sauce of marinara. If using that size jar, I recommend tripling the other recipe ingredients to make 6 sandwiches.
We both scarfed these sandwiches down in minutes, and my daughter already is asking when I’m going to make them again! Your family will love the combination of tender chicken and flavorful tomato sauce with the crunchy cheesy bread. It’s an easy dinner recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights…or weekends, or holidays, or a midnight snack…you get the idea.
Here are even more shredded chicken recipes to try:
- Barbecue Chicken & Pineapple French Bread Pizza
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
- Chicken Taco Salad with Salsa Ranch Dressing
- Asian Shredded Chicken Salad
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregeno
- pinch of onion powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 4 slices cheesy Texas Toast store bought, frozen
- Preheat the oven and bake toast according to package directions.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a small saucepan and cook garlic for 30 second; until fragrant. Add tomato sauce and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Stir in chicken and cook until heated through. Stir in half of cheeses until melted.
- Divide chicken mixture over two slice of cheese toast. Sprinkle remain cheese on top and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or basil (if desired) top with another slice of toast and serve hot.