These crunchy Ten Minute Oven Baked Tostadas take just minutes to make and are so much better for you than frying. Add any of your favorite toppings and you’ve got a delicious, family friendly meal in a flash!
This post has been updated from 2013.
Having dinner on the table in under twenty minutes is always a goal for me. There are so many different simple recipes to make. Oven Baked Tostadas are one of our favorites and are on the menu at least twice a month. We usually serve them with Authentic Mexican Rice, Refried Beans Recipe or Mexican Street Corn Salad on the side.
HOMEMADE TOSTADA RECIPE
Tostadas are super simple to make with homemade tostada shells or for simplicity you can buy them pre-made at the store. But since they only take a few minutes in the oven, homemade shells are the way to go!
The tostada shells can be topped with anything your heart desires – if you’d put it in a taco, you can put it on a tostada!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TOSTADA SHELLS
- Start with corn tortillas, spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. Brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt (optional). I actually just drizzle with oil and then rub it all over with my hands.
- Bake the tortillas in a preheated 400 degree oven for approximately four minutes per side, or until they are crispy and golden on each side. Remember that they will continue to crisp as they cool. Beautiful, right? Brown food tastes good!
HOW TO MAKE TOSTADAS
Once the homemade tostada shells are baked and crispy, now comes the fun part! Some ideas for tostada toppings include:
- Spread refried beans (try my recipe for homemade refried beans – so yummy and so much better for you!), and cheese and your favorite toppings – lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, olives, onions…the list goes on!
- For protein, we like to add slow cooker chicken, slow cooker beef, or slow cooker carnitas.
- For the tostadas pictured, I used my own
chopped house salad mix with romaine lettuce and shredded carrots, and both cheddar and cotija cheeses. But you can totally mix it up with the cheeses too! I mean, that’s the best part – These Ten Minute Oven Baked Tostadas are completely customized to suit your tastes and your family.
For more delicious Mexican inspired recipes, try these:
- Mini Chicken Bean & Cheese Quesadillas
- Best Guacamole Recipe
- Pozole Rojo with Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- Chicken Tacos Recipe
- The Best Shrimp Ceviche
Ten Minute Oven Baked Tostadas
- Corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Your favorite tostada toppings beans, chicken, beef, lettuce, cheese, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange as many tortillas as will fit on the baking sheet without overlapping. (I can get 6 on mine - if you need more than that, bake in batches or bake two sheets at a time, rotating halfway through).
- Brush both sides of the tortillas lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, turning over after 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a paper towel lined tray to cool. *It's ok if they're slightly soft as long as they're browned. They will crisp up even more as they cool.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings, or cool completely and store in a tightly sealed contained for 3-4 days.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.