This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Slow Cooker Chicken Ranch Tacos are super delicious and a perfect way to switch up Taco Tuesday.
Toss some chicken and a few ingredients in the crockpot and in a few hours you have delicious, tender chicken that is great in all kinds of recipes, like Chicken Ranch Tacos!
Table of Contents
Chicken Ranch Tacos
Tacos are a go-to for us on busy nights, as they are for many busy families. They are easy to prepare and kids love them. Plus each person can customize their taco with whatever toppings they like.
I’m a traditional girl and stick with lettuce, cheese and tomatoes on my tacos, but these Chicken Ranch Tacos are the exception where I pour on the ranch to add even more great flavor.
The chicken is slow cooked with taco and ranch seasonings to add flavor and make the meat nice and tender. You can shred it or dice it and serve it up as is in soft tortillas or add to crispy taco shells and bake with melty cheese on top.
Why We Love Them
- Savory Ranch Flavor – Most kids are die-hards for ranch so this is right up their alley.
- Crispy or Soft – The meat is flavorful and tender, and is just as good in soft tacos as crunchy.
- Taco Tuesday Upgrade – Ground beef tacos are a classic, and fish tacos are great for grown-ups, but everyone loves these Ranch flavored tacos.
- Ranch Dressing Mix – One packet of dressing mix.
- Taco Seasoning – One packet or make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Chicken Breasts – Boneless and skinless. Thighs can also be used.
- Salsa – Any brand that you love. Keep in mind that the heat level will translate to the tacos.
- Chicken Broth – Opt for a low-sodium variety.
- Taco Toppings – Shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.
How to Make Slow Cooker Taco Ranch Chicken
- Put the chicken breasts into a slow cooker and sprinkle on ranch and taco seasonings.
- Add salsa and chicken broth to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Shred chicken in the pot.
- Assemble tacos.
- If baking, fill taco shells with chicken and shredded cheese then bake at 350℉ for 8-10 minutes.
If you’d like to cook the chicken on the stovetop, I recommend braising. Season and sear the chicken breast in olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven for 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add chicken broth to the pot and scrape up the bits from the bottom. Stir in salsa and bring to a simmer’ add chicken back in. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is 165℉.
Place chicken taco meat in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave at 50% power or on the stovetop with a little butter or olive oil.
- Don’t forget to taste the chicken before assembling the tacos and add salt if needed.
- Be careful not to overcook the chicken or it will be dry. At the 3-hour mark, check the temperature with a meat thermometer.
- You don’t have to bake these – they are just as tasty if you serve them in soft tortillas.
- Double the recipe and use for meal prep. This chicken is delicious in burritos, wraps or on salads. You could even toss it into Chicken Tortilla Soup.
More Taco Recipes
- Authentic Tacos Al Pastor
- Taco Bowl Recipe
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Game Day Walking Tacos
Chicken Ranch Tacos
- 1 ounce packet Ranch dressing mix 2 tablespoons
- 1 ounce packet Taco Seasoning 2 tablespoons
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- ½ cup salsa I use Pace Picante Sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Diced avocado
- Chopped bacon
- Ranch dressing
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Taco shells or soft flour tortillas
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkle with seasonings. Pour in salsa and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH, for 5-6 hours on LOW, until chicken shreds easily and registers 165℉.
- Shred chicken in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Fill taco shells with chicken and arrange in a baking dish. Add shredded cheese and bake at 350℉ for 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and a drizzle with ranch dressing.