Chicken Curry is flavorful Indian-inspired dish made in just 30-minutes. Tender chicken is cooked in a homemade curry sauce that’s perfect over rice!
Chicken Curry Recipe
If you have never made chicken curry before, then prepare to be amazed by this recipe! This classic Indian dish is very approachable to make with very simple ingredients and it comes together in about 30-40 minutes. Personally, I have been a big fan of Japanese curry for many years which is very similar to Indian curry ingredient-wise, but with the addition of grated carrots and apple into the sauce, giving it a sweeter, more mellow flavor.
Once I tried Indian curry, I really enjoyed how different it’s flavors were from the curry I was familiar with. It has a deep, spicy flavor that keeps you coming back for more bite after bite.
Most the ingredients needed for this recipe are things you probably already have in your pantry such as crushed tomatoes, cumin, rice, etc but for the more exotic items such as turmeric, curry powder, and garam masala, you will need to plan ahead and make sure you have them for this recipe. I was able to find all three at a few of the major grocery chains in my area but alternatively, they are available on Amazon for just a few dollars and they are worth having on hand because they can be used in so many different recipes.
How to Make Chicken Curry
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt some oil, then saute onions and garlic.
- Once the onions have softened and the garlic is fragrant you will add crushed tomatoes and lots of spices. Bring the mixture to a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a food processor. Be careful because it will be very hot. Add two tablespoons of water to the tomato mixture and blend until the sauce is smooth.
- In the same skillet (you can wipe it out . first with a paper towel), heat some more oil and add diced chicken breast. Cook the chicken until it’s mostly cooked through, then add the sauce back to the pan.
- Stir in Greek yogurt until the sauce is a smooth consistency and the chicken is completely coated, and cook gently for another 10 minutes.
There are two main ways to serve this recipe – over white rice or on naan bread. I really enjoyed it on a garlic herb naan bread I had in my pantry but either is amazing! as for rice, the best choices would be basmati or jasmine rice but if you don’t have either on hand, any white rice or even brown rice would be pretty tasty as it will definitely take on the flavors of the curry.
What to do with leftovers
Generally speaking, chicken curry freezes well. However this particular recipe would be very difficult to reheat because of the yogurt. We recommend you cover and refrigerate, then enjoy within 3-4 days.
More Chicken Dinners to try:
- One Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Pulled Chicken (Crockpot BBQ Chicken)
- Juicy Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 clove
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine 1 tablespoon of oil, diced onion, and garlic. Once onions have softened and garlic is fragrant, add in tomatoes, curry powder, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and tumeric. Lower the heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Remove the sauce from the pan and transfer to a food processor. Blend until smooth with the 2 tablespoons of water. Be careful as the sauce will be very hot.
- In the sames skillet used for the sauce, place the remaining oil and chicken over medium-high heat. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken is almost completely cooked through before adding the sauce back into the pan. Stir in the Greek yogurt and until everything is well combined and smooth before reducing the heat to medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro as garnish over either rice or with naan bread.
Make sure to check out these amazing international recipes!