Last updated on
If you like chocolate chip cookies that are soft, chewy & extra thick – then you need to try these chocolate chip cookie bars. Quick, easy & feeds a crowd!
I LOVE chocolate chip cookies. Who doesn’t after all? But sometimes I really can’t be bothered to scoop the dough, roll it into balls, and bake each cookie sheet one at a time. And that’s exactly what these chocolate chip cookie bars are for. They’re soft, chewy, AND there’s way less busy work than making cookies.
Instead, the dough gets spread into a 9×13 inch pan prior to baking. Then they’re cut into squares, and you’re ready to enjoy. No need to chill the dough, and no sticky fingers.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Then mix in the eggs and vanilla extract
- Carefully mix in the flour, baking powder & salt.
- Then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough into a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking pan, then bake for 30 minutes or until the top looks just set.
I wanted to ensure that they’re soft and chewy, so let’s chat for a minute about what makes them have the perfect texture.
- We’re using melted butter. Butter provides more flavor than shortening or margarine, and using melted butter makes the cookie bars extra chewy.
- I like to use more brown sugar than white sugar. Brown sugar adds a caramel flavor and extra chewiness.
- Just the right amount of flour. If there’s not enough flour then they can taste greasy, but if there’s too much flour then they taste dry. So be careful when measuring.
- Because I wanted them to be soft, chewy & a little dense – I used less baking powder than in regular chocolate chip cookies.
- Extra chocolate chips. Because….. well, obvious reasons.
These chocolate chip cookie bars are such a delicious, easy recipe. They’re perfect for when you’re short on time, or if you’re looking for a cookie recipe that’s also perfect for dessert. I love them plain with a glass of milk, or with a scoop of ice cream and a little chocolate sauce.
For more cookie recipes, try these other favorites:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&Ms
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- White Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I used a combo of chocolate chips and chocolate chunks)
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, brown sugar & white sugar.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed and carefully beat the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the top looks set.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares, or cool completely for less gooey bars.