This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are tender and moist and pack a delicious punch of pumpkin pie spice and chocolate.
Made with only 5 ingredients and in about 20 minutes, you can have these cake mix pumpkin cookies any time you want!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Fall is baking season. I get to break out the pumpkin and the spices and just go to town, swapping the pumpkin into tons of different goodies, like my Pumpkin Alfredo and Pumpkin Waffles.
This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is:
- A healthier alternative – Using canned pumpkin makes all of those delicious treats a little better for you since it takes the place of oil and eggs.
- Just 5 ingredients – All you need are mini chocolate chips, a box of yellow or white cake mix, a can of pumpkin puree, some butter, and a little pumpkin pie spice.
- A healthier cookie that tastes indulgent – The best part about baking with pumpkin, aside from the health benefits, is that pumpkin is such a neutral flavor that while you can taste it, it’s not overpowering.
- Easy enough for kids to make – With just a few simple ingredients and easy steps, these cookies are easy enough for your kids to make.
These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are sweet, but not too sweet, super tender, and fluffy with a punch of pumpkin spice and semi-sweet chocolate chips. You should definitely add them to your fall baking checklist!
Ingredients For Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cake Mix – Any brand will do, but I am partial to Betty Crocker and Pillsbury. The pumpkin is what gives these cookies their bright color, so you can use either white or yellow cake mix.
- Canned Pumpkin – In baking, pumpkin replaces the oil and can also replace things like eggs and butter. It adds moisture without being too heavy and has a very neutral flavor.
- Melted Butter
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Easy to find this time of year in the spice aisle and usually on end caps in grocery stores.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – Since these cookies don’t spread out like regular chocolate chip cookies, the mini chips work better and look cute too.
How To Make Pumpkin Cake Mix Cookies
- Preheat the oven and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift the pumpkin pie spice into the cake mix, then beat in canned pumpkin and butter until a thick batter forms. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough onto the baking sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets then transfer to a cooling rack.
Yes, these cookies can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
While it’s not necessary to refrigerate the cookie dough before baking, you can certainly do so. I recommend baking within 24 hours, and let it sit out and come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes before baking.
Actually, it’s best to store these cookies at room temperature. Refrigerated cookies tend to dry out quickly. For best results, store in an air-tight container on your kitchen counter.
Dry cookies are usually the result of overmixing. When you are combining ingredients for cookie dough, you want to mix just until the powdery ingredients disappear.
Room Temperature Storage: Once the cookies are completely cooled, you can store them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. They will stay fresh at room temperature for about 3-4 days.
Freezing: Cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla to the dough when you add the butter; it will add a nice balance of flavor.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can use ground cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
- For added texture, add some finely chopped pecans or walnuts to the dough.
- For a more “holiday” flavored cookie, replace the chocolate chips with white chocolate, and add some dried cranberries.
More Sweet Pumpkin Treats
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel
- Soft and Chewy Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Easy No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Fritters
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup butter melted
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together yellow cake mix and pumpkin pie spice. With an electric mixer, beat in pumpkin and melted butter.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons (using a cookie scoop, preferably) onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- Cool on the baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in a airtight container for up to one week, or 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Made it with a sugar free yellow cake mix. My husband has type 2 diabetes. The cookies turned out great.
Nice! Thanks for stopping by Teresa!
Do I just use the cake mix or do I mix the cake mix like the box suggest (eggs, water etc.) and then add the rest of the goodies for the cookies?
Hi Jennifer, Everything you need is in the recipe card. You don’t mix it like a cake; you’ll mix the cake mix (just the powder) and the other ingredients as directed. Enjoy!
I’ve made double batches of these 3 times in the last week! My kids love them. So moist and easy! Thank you!
Last month- not week! ?
You are so welcome NStu! Thanks for stopping by.
What size of can of pumpkin?
HI, I’m trying this pumpkin recipe this morning and I see there is no sugar in the ingredient list. My yellow cake mix comes without sugar, should I add some or the chocolate chips is enough sweetener? Thanks!
I’ve never used a cake mix without sugar, so I would think you’d need to add some. I don’t know what the appropriate amount would be though without proper testing, sorry!
What size can of pumpkin do you use?
It’s a 15-ounce can.
Thank you! (Stores by me sell two sizes)
FYI — Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe ingredients says 1/2 cup melted butter, instructions says mix in vegetable oil, no mention of butter. You might want to make that one or the other. 🙂