Tender and juicy on the inside, crispy and flavorful on the outside, these Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs are so delicious! They are incredibly easy to make with very little prep, making these crispy baked chicken thighs perfect for busy night.
My son has a real “thing” about chicken. He loves chicken on the bone, but it has to be “soft chicken” (ie, not stringy and dry or crumbly), and chicken drumsticks are his favorite. But once in a while I’ve got to change it up, so when I came up with the quick and easy recipe a few months ago, and he gobbled down three pieces, I knew I had a winner.
These baked chicken thighs take about 35 minutes in the oven, and less than ten minutes of prep. That give me just enough time to whip up a couple of side dishes, like my Stove Top Garlic & Herb Potatoes which happen to be super delicious with these chicken thighs, and a salad or other kind of veggie on the side.
How to Bake Chicken Thighs
Here are are my tips for getting these baked chicken thighs super crispy and full of flavor:
- Rub them with a little bit of olive oil first. This helps keep the chicken moist as it cooks, and also helps the skin develop that crispy crunch.
- Season each chicken thigh well. I use my go-to basic rub of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Which leads me to my favorite tip…
- Rub the seasoning all over the chicken AND UNDER the skin. As you are massaging that delicious seasoning blend into the chicken, just slide your fingers under the skin and rub a little of the olive oil and seasoning under the skin. This will flavor not only the skin but the meat underneath.
- Let it rest. I feel like a broken record because I say this so much, but it’s so true. When you remove the baked chicken thighs from the oven, let them rest at least 5-10 minutes before serving. This lets the juices redistribute and also let’s them cool slightly. The chicken should be at an internal temperature of 165 degrees when it comes out of the oven.
If you want to know how long to bake boneless chicken thighs, be sure to try my Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs!
Want to make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs? For 8 thighs, you’ll need about half of the rub and half of the olive oil. Follow the instructions for how to bake chicken thighs, but cut the time by about 10 minutes.
Want some more delicious baked chicken recipes? Try these:
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Walnut Crusted Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Smothered Chicken and Mushrooms
- Baked Ranch Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs recipe:
Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs
- 8 Chicken Thighs skin-on, bone-in
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet pan with foil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder with a fork. Set aside.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels, then arrange, skin side up on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub into both sides. Season the back side with about a third of the spice mixture, then flip so the chicken thighs are skin side up and season with remaining spice mixture. Rub into the skin and slide your fingers under the skin to rub the spice mixture into the meat as well.
- Slide the pan into the oven and roast until completely cooked through; 30-35 minutes. Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.
- Let rest for 5 minutes; garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.