Homemade French Onion Dip is ultra creamy, and made with a mayo and sour cream base and sweet caramelized onions. It’s perfect for dipping chips, veggies or crackers, and tastes so much better than the packaged kind.
Your next party is about to get a whole lot more delicious when you add this homemade french onion dip recipe to the menu! Once you make it from scratch, you’ll never go back to a packaged soup mix again.
The onion dip you remember from your childhood gets a serious upgrade with sweet caramelized onions instead of a bunch of dehydrated powder. It’s so tasty with layers of flavor that you just can’t get from store-bought. This simple french onion dip recipe takes that simple soup mix dip and turn it up to eleven!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Onions – the best onions for onion dip are the sweeter variety, like Vidalia, Walla Wallas or Maui onions.
- Chives – fresh herb flavor to compliment the cooked onions.
- Creamy base – mayonnaise, sour cream. You can use all sour cream if you’re not a mayo fan, but it does make the dip really creamy.
- Worcestershire sauce – adds another level of flavor that actually heightens the savory flavor of the onions.
- Lemon juice – the small amount of acid helps to cut the creaminess.
- Seasoning – fresh garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper
How to Make French Onion Dip from Scratch
* Be sure to see the recipe card below for the
complete list of ingredients and full instructions *
Cook the onions. Heat a large skillet with some butter and start cooking the onions over a medium-low heat. If your heat is too high the onions will scorch instead of caramelize. It takes about 30 minutes, but it’s totally worth it. The onions soften and turn a beautiful golden brown shade and become a sort of savory sweet. Let them cool for 15-20 minutes before adding to the dip.
Make the dip base. Stir together the mayo, sour cream, and the remaining ingredients and set aside until the onions are cooled.
Combine. Once the onions have cooled down, stir them into the dip until everything in well incorporated.
Serve. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish however you like. I think a handful of fresh minced chives on top looks so pretty.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Storage: Cover tightly with an airtight lid and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days for best quality.
- Make Ahead: You can make this dip up to a day in advance and store it in the fridge. Sometimes a little liquid will pool on top as it sits in the fridge – just give it a few good stirs before serving.
- Variations: Try adding some savory chopped bacon, more herbs like chives or parsley or add heat with some hot sauce or cayenne pepper.
The best thing to pair with Onion Dip is a classic potato chip with ridges, like Ruffles or Wavy Lays. You want something strong that won’t break when you dip it. Raw veggies, crackers or crostini are great as well.
It’s super creamy and savory. It’s a little different from the dips you can buy at the store or the one you make from a soup mix. The onions are caramelized and have slightly sweet undertones while the seasonings and the Worcestershire sauce offer deep savory flavor.
More Creamy Dips to Try
If you’ve made this recipe, please come back and leave us a star rating or a comment below. Or, tag us on social media @yellowblissroad or #yellowblissroad for a chance to be featured.
French Onion Dip
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sweet onions such as Vidalia, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced chives plus some for garnish
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, then turn the heat to medium-low. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be soft and golden brown. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute or two. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, onion powder, black pepper, Worcestershire and lemon juice. Stir in the cooled onions until well incorporated. Finally, stir in fresh minced chives.
- Serve chilled. Garnish with fresh chopped chives and serve with your favorite potato chips.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.