Light and airy Angel Food cupcakes topped with a tart Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting.
Lemon is by far and above my all time favorite flavor. Savory lemon or sweet lemon, it really doesn’t matter. I love it with pasta, with chicken and with dessert, which is what I’m about to share with you.
I’ve never attempted to make angel food before, I think it always scared me because it seemed fancier than a regular cake. I figured I couldn’t go wrong with a cake mix, so that’s what I used as my base. I mean, you mix cake mix and water; what could go wrong? I substituted lemon juice and lemon zest for part of the water and put the batter into baking cups.
The key is to make sure the cupcakes are nice and brown on top, so if the time is up and they’re not brown, let them go a few more minutes. There’s nothing worse than raw angel food cake. Don’t ask me how I know.
Lemon cupcakes deserve a tangy lemon topping, but the angel food is so light that a regular butter based frosting just won’t do. So I basically made a version of my lemon whipped cream. I added a tablespoon of plain gelatin to the mixer and it came out perfect!
If you want more of a yellow color so people really get the idea that it’s lemon flavored, go ahead and add a few drops of yellow food coloring. I added zest and white sugar crystals to mine, but you have to be careful adding zest like that as it can be an overly bitter bite.
Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes
- 1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest about 2 lemons
Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon clear gelatin
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 12-count muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- Add cake mix, water, lemon juice and lemon zest to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low for about 30 seconds, then at medium speed for about a minute until the batter is nice and fluffy.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide batter into 2 12-count, paper lined muffin pans.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until tops are golden brown and dry.
- Chill the bowl and beaters of your mixer for 30 minutes in the freezer or fridge.
- Pour heavy cream, powdered sugar, gelatin and vanilla in the bowl and whip on medium high for about 2 minutes, until fluffy and thick. Stir in lemon zest and half of the lemon juice. Taste, and add more lemon juice as needed.
- Pipe onto cupcakes using a piping bag. Sprinkle with candy sugar crystals or non-perils.
For more tasty desserts, be sure to try these:
For all Sweets & Treats, go HERE and for all recipes on the site, go HERE.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.