Magic Layer Brownie Bars, like the Seven Layer Bars you might remember from your childhood, only better. Instead of a graham cracker cookie base, these bars start with a rich chocolate brownie, and layers of toasted coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and sweetened condensed milk. It’s the ultimate decadent dessert!
Do you have a favorite recipe that you remember from your childhood? Seven Layer Bars, or “Magic Bars” is one of those desserts. It became a popular cookie in the 60s, probably because of just how easy they are to make, and a potluck staple. If you went to a church potluck, these magic bars would be there. A basic graham cracker crust and a few pantry staples like chocolate chips, coconut and sweetened condensed milk and you were good to go.
I wanted to make a version of these beloved bars but wanted to put my own spin on it. My One Bowl Brownies are a favorite around our house, so I knew that would be just the thing to give these Magic Bars a rich, decadent upgrade.
They are baked until the top is done but the insides are still pretty gooey. At this point I added chocolate chips, toasted coconut and butterscotch chips. The final touch was to pour on the sweetened condensed milk. Then back into the oven to finish baking. The sweetened condensed milk when it bakes creates this gooey, chewy, caramel-like taste and texture, and it holds the other toppings to the brownie. You could also play around with the topping, adding things like white chocolate or peanut butter chips or pecans. Whatever you have on hand.
Let me tell you, these are probably my new favorite dessert. I dropped off half of the pan for our school staff and they got rave reviews. They look familiar, but taste so different, and better, than the original. These Magic Layer Brownie Bars are going to be tough to beat!
Magic Layer Brownie Bars
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup 1 stick salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg + 1 yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place butter and chocolate chips in a large, microwaveable mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and continue microwaving and stirring in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted.
- Beat in sugar, then vanilla and eggs, until well combined.
- Stir in flour until just combined.
- Pour into a well greased 11x7 inch or 13x9 inch baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven (brownies will jiggle a little but be done on top) and sprinkle on chocolate and butterscotch chips, then shredded coconut. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Spread gently to make sure it is evenly distributed. **NOTE - if you use an 11x7” pan like I did, you only need about ¾ cup of each of the chips and the coconut. I also only used about ¾ of the can of sweetened condensed milk. For a 13x9” pan of brownie bars, use the full amounts as listed in the ingredients.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
For more sweet treats, try these: