This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious, creamy Sour Cream Noodle Bake recipe whips up in no time and is a comfort food dish you’ll want to make again and again!
Sour Cream Noodle Bake is more than just a pasta dish – it’s the ultimate comfort food. This creamy, cheesy casserole combines perfectly cooked egg noodles with flavorful ground beef, marinara sauce, and rich sour cream, all baked to golden perfection. The result is a meal that’s both hearty and satisfying, and guaranteed to please the whole family.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- A Timeless Classic – This Sour Cream Noodle Bake recipe is a comforting classic, perfect for those busy weeknights when you need a delicious dinner on the table fast.
- Quick and Easy – But don’t let its simplicity fool you—while easy to prepare, the flavors in this dish are anything but basic.
- Complimentary Flavors – The savory ground beef, the tangy sour cream, and the melted cheese all come together to create a taste sensation that’s nothing short of spectacular.
- Egg Noodles – Wide, and cooked to al dente.
- Lean Ground Beef – I opt for 15% fat or lower to keep the final dish from becoming greasy.
- Green Onions – These are much milder than traditional onions, and I wanted to add a little flavor without overpowering the flavors in the dish.
- Garlic – minced fresh (preferred) or from a jar.
- Marinara Sauce – 4 cups is a 32 ounce jar. Sometimes you can find this size at the grocery store, but if not, you can use about what you need from two jars and freeze the leftovers, or make your own Homemade Marinara Sauce.
- Sour Cream
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Ricotta Cheese – Use whole milk or skim, the choice is yours.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Freshly grated off the block.
How To Make Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
Cook ground beef with the green onion and garlic in a large skillet. Drain off the fat and stir in marinara.
In a small bowl, whisk sour cream with the seasonings and a little bit of hot water.
Mix egg noodles with the ricotta cheese and the sour cream mixture.
Layer the creamy noodles, meat sauce, and mozzarella cheese in a casserole dish.
Cover with foil and bake until warmed through and melty.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Egg noodles are traditionally used, but you can use any pasta you prefer.
Absolutely! Adding vegetables like bell peppers, spinach, or zucchini can increase the nutritional value of the dish. Just be sure to steam them first before adding to the casserole.
Yes, Greek yogurt is a good substitute if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to sour cream.
- Pre-cook your noodles al dente to prevent them from getting too soft in the oven.
- Always layer your ingredients for the perfect blend of flavors.
- Add some spice with a dash of red pepper flakes or chili powder.
- Don’t rush the browning of your ground beef; this process adds flavor.
- If you’re using vegetables, sauté or steam them first to release their flavors.
- Let the dish rest for a few minutes after taking it out of the oven before serving.
More Pasta Casseroles
- Creamy Baked Feta Pasta
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole
- Tuna Casserole Recipe
- Cheesy Ham Casserole
- Baked Tortellini Casserole
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 green onions sliced (white bottoms and green tops sliced and separated)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 dish with a light coating of cooking spray, set aside.
- Prepare egg noodles according to package directions. While they are boiling, prepare the meat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef along with the white parts of the green onion until cooked through. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute.
- Drain off the fat and add the marinara sauce. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and 4 Tablespoons of hot (not boiling) water. Set aside.
- Drain the prepared egg noodles and immediately mix with the ricotta cheese in a large bowl. Add the sour cream mixture and stir until combined.
- Add ½ of the creamy noodles to the prepared casserole dish. Top with half of the meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat these layers, finishing with mozzarella on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the casserole is warmed throughout and cheese is melted on top. Do not overcook.
- Top with sliced green onion tops and serve warm.