This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sour Cream Salad is a family favorite and a version of Ambrosia Salad. It has oranges, pineapple, cherries, marshmallows, walnuts and a sour cream and whipped cream dressing.
At each and every family gathering we had when I was a kid, this Sour Cream Salad was expected! It’s a version of the popular Ambrosia Salad, and it’s creamy texture and sweet fruits combined with crunchy walnuts are a match made in heaven!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Sour Cream Salad
Canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries and marshmallows in a creamy dressing of sour cream and cool whip. This salad is very similar to a traditional Ambrosia salad, except we don’t use coconut and add walnuts for crunch.
Doesn’t it look yummy? It’s the perfect dessert or side dish for your next summer picnic or BBQ gathering!
How to Make Sour Cream Salad
- Drain the canned fruits in a colander. You want as much of the liquid out as possible. I usually drain the in the sink and let them sit for about 20 minutes.
- Combine the sour cream and Cool Whip together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the fruits, marshmallows and walnuts (if using) and gently combine with the dressing.
- Serve as a side dish for a holiday meal or as a dessert.
- Drain cherries on a paper towel, then cut them in half or in quarters.
- Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If it’s a little watery, give it a good stir before serving again.
- For best flavor, make ahead a couple of hours, or up to 24 hours.
More Fruit Salads to Try
Sour Cream Salad
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup defrosted cool whip
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 15 ounce can pineapple chunks drained
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 12 ounce jar maraschino cherries drained and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix sour cream and cool whip in a large bowl until creamy and smooth.
- Add fruits, marshmallows and nuts and fold together until mixture is combined.