This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Tartar Sauce is so easy to make, you’ll never go back to store bought again. Made with simple ingredients and taking just a few minutes, this is the best tartar sauce recipe ever!
Serve this homemade tartar sauce with all kinds of fish, from Grilled Salmon Kabobs and Grilled Fish Tacos to Air Fryer Fish Sticks and Fried Shrimp.
Table of Contents
Tartar Sauce Ingredients
Just 5 ingredients is all it takes to make a quick tartar sauce. This is a super forgiving recipe; you can keep adjusting the flavors until you’re happy with the result. You probably even have all of the ingredients on hand!
- Mayonnaise – I use real mayonnaise, but you can use Miracle Whip if you’re into that.
- Pickle relish – My preference is relish, but if you don’t have that you can finely chop some dill pickles and add a little bit of pickle juice.
- Fresh dill or dried dill
- Fresh lemon juice
- Black pepper
How to Make Homemade Tartar Sauce
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
Now here’s the kicker…the instructions are super complicated. Are you ready?
- Combine ingredients together in a bowl.
- Serve with fish.
Yup, that’s it! Easy peasy, right?
Some people seem a little scared to try tartar sauce and I’m not really sure why because it’s delicious. It’s creamy, has a subtle crunchy from the dill pickle, and a nice tang from the lemon juice, with a fresh bite from the dill. The mayo makes it super creamy, but if you’re not a fan you could also swap in plain yogurt or sour cream.
This creamy, tangy sauce is ideal for topping all kinds of fish, but it can be spread on burgers and sandwiches, or even used in stir-fries.
A good tartar sauce recipe can really enhance all kinds of seafood dishes. It’s creamy and tangy and pairs well with fish sticks, breaded fish fillets, and is a must for classic Fish & Chips, Salmon Patties, and Crab Cakes.
And a few more ideas:
- Sheet Pan Salmon, Asparagus and Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Lemon Dill Salmon with Roasted Tomatoes
- Shrimp Foil Packets
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Shrimp Po Boy Sandwich
Storage: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. I highly recommend making this dip a few hours or even a day in advance. It gives the flavors time to blend together.
Freezing: Mayo doesn’t freeze well, so freezing is not recommended.
- I prefer chopping dill pickles for my homemade tartar sauce recipe, but you could also just use dill relish. With pickles, make sure to finely chop them.
- Dill pickles go best with this recipe in my opinion, but if you’re a fan of sweet pickles, you can use those instead.
- Feel free to play around with the ingredients, adjusting the amounts as you wish.
- Fresh is best – use fresh lemon juice and fresh dill.
More Delicious Sauces to Try
- Cocktail Sauce
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
- Mole Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1 cup real Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles or pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve with all kinds of seafood recipes, like salmon patties, fish sticks or fish tacos.
- Store in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container – lasts for 2 weeks in the fridge.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Sounds good might try it
Was absolutely delicious
This is wonderful Tartar Sauce. Easy as can be!
You’re so welcome Kathie! thank you so much for stopping by!
This tartar sauce is amazing, I didn’t even follow the recipe and it tasted great! I just threw in the ingredients and WOW!?
Thanks A.J! thank you so much for stopping by!
See More Comments