This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Cocktail Sauce is a spicy sweet dip made with ketchup and horseradish that is typically served with shrimp cocktail. It’s easy to make at home in just a few minutes and tastes so much better than bottled.
This cocktail sauce recipe pairs perfectly with my Shrimp Cocktail, Crispy Fried Shrimp, or Spicy Garlic Shrimp.
Easy Cocktail Sauce From Scratch
I have been enjoying shrimp cocktail for as long as I’ve been alive it seems. It was always the first thing on the list for any family party, and my dad was usually the first one to break into the platter. While my mom would usually buy the pre-cooked shrimp at the butcher, she always used her own cocktail sauce recipe and it was always amazing.
When I asked my new husband to pick up some shrimp from the grocery store for this recipe, he came home with the 2 pounds of shrimp I’d asked for, and a bottle of cocktail sauce. When I asked him what in the world he was thinking buying a bottle, he simply stated that he was excited for the shrimp cocktail I was going to make. I shook my head and said, “No, no my dear. We make this stuff from scratch!”
He was skeptical that there would be a difference, but I made a believer of him in a matter of minutes. The fresh pop of flavors in this homemade cocktail sauce cannot be denied, plus it’s so easy you’ll never buy bottled again!
What Is Cocktail Sauce Made Out Of?
Here are the 5 ingredients you will need to make this delicious homemade cocktail sauce recipe:
- Ketchup – The sweetness pairs well with the spiciness of the horseradish and the tang of the lemon.
- Prepared Horseradish – This adds an element of heat to the sauce and really gives it a great flavor.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh is always best. To get the most juice from your fruit, roll it on the counter with the palm of your hand for about 20 seconds to release the juices.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Adds a savory, slightly tangy component.
- Salt – Just a pinch! You may not need to add salt at all; taste and add if needed.
How To Make Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- Stir the ingredients together in a small bowl until they are well combined.
- Be sure to taste your sauce and adjust the flavors to your liking, because everyone’s pallet is different!
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve alongside some juicy shrimp for dipping.
How To Serve
Cocktail Sauce is a delicious spicy ketchup based sauce that is traditionally served with shrimp cocktail. Its fresh flavors and acidic pop make it an excellent choice as a pairing with a variety of seafood, like crab legs, oysters, calamari, or seafood cocktails. I like to place the shrimp on a pretty platter, with a small bowl of the cocktail sauce in the center.
To make the presentation even more beautiful, garnish with some fresh minced parsley and lemon wedges.
What To Do With Leftovers
This recipe makes a decent amount that’s perfect for a party. But if you happen to have leftovers, store the sauce in an airtight container for up to one week.
You can also freeze it for up to 4-6 months.
- For a spicier sauce, try adding a few dashes of hot sauce, or adjust the ratio of horseradish to ketchup.
- All of the ingredients are customizable – feel free to adjust them to your liking.
More Seafood Recipes to Try
- 1 cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Prepared horseradish or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice or more to taste
- pinch of salt or more to taste
- Stir together ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and salt in a small bowl until well combined.
- Taste and adjust flavors to your liking.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- The horseradish brings the heat. Feel free to adjust the amount to your liking.
- This recipe makes a decent amount that’s perfect for a party. But if you happen to have leftovers, store the sauce in an airtight container for up to one week.
- You can also freeze it for up to 4-6 months.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Super easy to make with pantry ingredients. Spicy, but not too hot. Add more horseradish if you want more heat.
Awesome feedback Kathryne! Thanks for stopping by.
Very Good, said my wife. I made a hotter version with sriracha. It’s really a good flavor, with either. I use a lot of plain horseradish.
Nice! Thanks for sharing John.
Add some Garlic Chili Paste as well YUMMM
Great idea Janet! Thank you for stopping by!