These Apple Hand Pies are an easy fall treat that’s perfect for hungry kids. Crisp, sweet apple filling inside a golden, flaky biscuit – simple to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.
My kids have got it in their heads that they need a dessert every night. I know I’m not alone in this. What is about after dinner that makes you want something sweet?
These Apple Hand Pies definitely fit the “dessert” bill. Tender, flaky biscuits are filling with a delicious apple pie filling, topped with cinnamon sugar and baked to golden perfection. They kind of remind me of McDonald’s Apple Pies…which is a huge plus because I love those things. Only difference is these Apple Hand Pies are baked not fried, so they are even better for you. And the apple pie filling counts as fruit, right? So you’ve got two healthy things right there. Right? Right.
I love making recipes from scratch, but sometimes you just need simplicity and that means getting a little help from the refrigerator aisle to create something that’s “semi-homemade.” All you need for these hand pies are a package of biscuit dough and apple pie filling. Of course if you’re feeling really ambitious you could make your own pie filling and biscuit dough, but Ill be over here, enjoying my apple hand pie while you’re still rolling out the dough. Ahem.
So basically you just split the uncooked biscuits open and stuff them with the pie filling. Finish them off with an egg white wash and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar. Bake and enjoy. Just try not to lick your fingers.
- 1 16-ounce package Grands Flaky Biscuits
- 1 14-ounce can apple pie filling
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Open the package of biscuits and divide into 8 pieces. Stretch the circles slightly to make then bigger and thinner, then split the layers and stuff with a heaping tablespoon apple pie filling. Close the biscuit and seal the edges by crimping with a fork. Place biscuits onto a baking sheet 2 inches apart (I put 6 on a large sheet and 2 on a smaller sheet).
- Brush lightly with the egg white. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-16 minutes or until biscuits tops are golden.
- Cool slightly before enjoying. Sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar if desired.
For more easy dessert ideas, try these: