This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Super crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, Baked Zucchini Fries are a healthy snack or side dish option and a great way to use up that summer squash!
If fried zucchini is your thing but you hate to indulge because the calories just aren’t worth it, then this Baked Zucchini Fries recipe is for you! At just 135 calories per serving, they are a healthy alternative to that diner snack we all (secretly) love.
My grandma always loved to make fried zucchini, but the real stuff, breaded and fried in a skillet full of hot oil. I mean, let’s face it, they taste incredible! But we know they aren’t good for us, so how about we cut the calories and indulge in a healthier snack that tastes like it’s super naughty?
HOW TO MAKE BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES
If you ever made fried chicken or another breaded dish, then this will be super easy. And if you haven’t, I promise you’ll catch on super quick.
The breading of the baked zucchini fries happens in three simple steps:
- Flour coating to dry the zucchini.
- Egg wash, to give the breading something to cling to.
- Breading and seasoning. Self explanatory.
PRO TIP: Use one hand for the flour and breading, and the other hand for dipping in the egg. This will help keep the breading from sticking to your fingers and to the zucchini instead.
Bake the zucchini fries on a foil lined baking sheet, and for extra crispiness, top the baking sheet with a metal cooling rack. (aff)
ARE BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES GOOD?
Heck yes! They are super crunchy and delicious on the outside and tender on the inside. My kids just about exploded with delight when they tasted them, and hey, they ate ALL of their vegetables that night! And I got to feel like I was totally indulging in something super sinful, so I call that #winning.
For more zucchini recipes, check these out:
- Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Best Ever Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Bacon, and Crispy Onions
- Parmesan Zucchini and Corn
- Smoked Sausage and Zucchini Skillet
Baked Zucchini Fries
- 2 large zucchini
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and set a wire cooling rack on top (if you have one available). Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut zucchini in half and then into ½ inch wide sticks.
- Set up three shallow dishes as a coating station. Flour in the first dish, whisked eggs in the second, and panko mixed with the seasonings and Parmesan in the third.
- Working with one hand for wet and one hand for dry, dredge the zucchini sticks through the stations in the flour, then eggs, and finally the pank, pressing the breadcrumbs into the zucchini to coat.
- Arrange breaded zucchini on the rack over the baking sheet and slide into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until zucchini are golden and crispy. If they need more browning, turn on the broiler for a few minutes, but watch closely.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with your choice of dipping sauces, or simply on their own. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.