Zucchini with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Bacon, and Crispy Onions is a flavor packed side dish recipe that your family will ask for again and again this zucchini season!
Hi everyone! Amanda here from Old House to New Home sharing a delicious and easy side dish recipe that can be made quickly, and only dirties one pan! Zucchini is truly one of my favorite foods. I look forward to the overgrowth of zucchini in my parents’ garden every summer and I am always challenging myself to make new dishes with it.
I have seriously prepared zucchini every single way possible, breaded, baked, shredded, roasted, grilled, but today’s recipe is back to the basics. Sautéing some veggies in a pan and adding in lots of delicious flavors along the way.
This recipe is actually a lightened up version of one of my favorite winter casseroles. I make almost the same dish, but don’t include the bacon, add cream, and bake it. With hotter temperatures on the way, I wanted to avoid the oven with this version and just make it all on the stove top. I don’t know if it is the addition of the bacon, but I definitely like this dish even better than the casserole version. It is lighter without the cream and has even more flavor thanks to the bacon.
There is another crucial ingredient in this recipe and that is freshly shaved Parmesan cheese. Not the grated stuff in the green container, but the nutty Parmesan from a wedge that you grate yourself at home. You can pick these up for just a few bucks at any grocery cheese section and it truly adds so much flavor to any recipe. I love the saltiness the cheese adds to this recipe and it melts ever so slightly into the zucchini.
There are so many delicious flavors in this Zucchini with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Bacon, and Crispy Onions side dish. I know that I will be making it all summer long!
Zucchini with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Bacon, and Crispy Onions
- 3 medium sized zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces and then quartered
- 4 slices of bacon, sliced into pieces
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup crispy fried onions
- 1/2 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a saute pan to medium high heat. Add the bacon pieces and cook until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and then add zucchini to the bacon drippings ( if you have more than a tbsp. or two, then drain first) and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add the sun dried tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Add half the parmesan and the bacon and then stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make sure to add these seasonings after adding the bacon and cheese as they are both salty foods. Once seasoned, add the rest of the cheese to the top and the crispy onions.
- Serve immediately.
Courses Side Dish
Looking for more zucchini recipes?
Love this Zucchini with Sundried Tomatoes? You’ll love these recipes!