Crispy Parmesan Crusted Tilapia is a healthy and delicious dinner for any night of the week! It’s simple to prepare and ready in 20 minutes.
Broiled fish is one of the healthiest sources of protein you can eat. Fish is low in fat and packed with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential nutrients to keep your brain and heart healthy. Plus tilapia is incredibly budget friendly.
If you’re not a fan of fish but want to reap the benefits from adding it to your diet, I think this recipe is your solution. Tilapia has a very mild flavor, and when paired with this Parmesan sauce, it’s highly palatable, even to those who turn their nose up at the thought of eating fish!
Fresh Tilapia versus Frozen
When given the option, fresh fish that has been caught, cleaned and sold within 48 hours is always going to be the best quality. But you’ll find frozen tilapia to be quite economically, especially if you can find the large bag at Costco. And, frozen fish is typical processed quickly after it’s caught so you can feel confident that the quality of your frozen fish is just as good as fresh.
Of course you’ll need Tilapia filets, about a pound of them which is usually 4 medium sized filets.
For the sauce, you’ll need parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice, plus dried parsley, onion powder, salt and pepper.
How to make Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
Prep. Preheat the broiler on your oven and line a baking sheet with foil. If you have a broiler pan you can use that instead.
Prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the parmesan sauce and set aside.
Prepare the tilapia. Pat the fish dry with paper towels and arrange on the baking sheet. Don’t add any seasoning because the sauce has plenty.
Broil. Place the pan under the broiler. You want the fish to be about 3 inches from the heat source. Broil tilapia for 2-3 minutes, then flip it over and broil for an additional 2 minutes. Spread with the sauce, then broil for a final 2 minutes.
How do you know when tilapia is done cooking?
Like most fish, tilapia cooks fairly quickly. While the cook time in this recipe works well, ovens can vary slightly so you may need to rely on a couple of other ways to check for doneness.
- Cooked fish will flake very easily with a fork, and will be bright white in color.
- The recommended internal temperature for fish is 145 degrees F. One of the most useful devices you can have in your kitchen is an instant read digital thermometer. The one linked here is my favorite and the one I use in my own kitchen, and it’s very affordable.
What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
I always try to add some color to the plate when I serve Broiled Tilapia Parmesan, like Roasted Vegetables, Garlic Green Beans or Oven Roasted Asparagus. For a starchy side, Roasted Purple Potatoes or Garlic Mashed Potatoes pair really nicely.
That said, something simple like white or brown rice goes perfectly and doesn’t overwhelm the plate, letting the parmesan crusted tilapia be the star.
Storage and Reheating Leftovers
Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezing: Freeze broiled tilapia filets in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once solid, transfer to a freezer safe container or bag, removing as much air as possible. Thaw and reheat within 3 weeks.
Reheating: If frozen, thaw fish first before reheating. Preheat your oven to 350 and heat the fish for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
More Seafood Recipes to Love
- Crab Cakes
- Light & Crispy Classic Fried Shrimp
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- How to Cook Crab Legs the Easy Way
Crispy Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound tilapia fillets about 4 filets
- Optional - lemon slices and fresh herbs for serving.
- Preheat the broiler to 525 degrees and prepare a broiler pan or baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil and using a light coating of cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, use a spoon to mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried parsley, pepper, onion powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil 2 more minutes.
- Remove the fillets from the oven and spread with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Internal temp should read 145 degrees F.
- Serve with lemon slices and chopped herbs if desired.