This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies take the classic sugary, cinnamony cookie to a whole other level. They are super soft with an ooey, gooey caramel surprise in the middle.
This post has been updated from 2014.
My dad’s favorite cookies of all time were Snickerdoodles. I have memories of my mom making them for him often. Soft and chewy on the inside and just slightly crisp on the outside, with that delicious cinnamon sugar crust. Heavenly!
Try not to lick the screen. Although you’re probably wishing it was scratch and sniff right about now because these cookies smell seriously amazing.
If you have made Snickerdoodles before, you know the routine. Mix the dough, roll into a ball and then in cinnamon sugar. There’s just one additional step and that’s to add the caramel. It’s kind of the best step of all.
Just make sure you wrap that dough all the way around the caramel and you’ll be golden. Or rather, you’re cookies will be. They spread out nicely and may have a nice little dip in the middle where you can see the melted caramel. Oh yeah.
Now let’s chat about the caramel for a minute. If your stores are like mine, there are basically two different caramel candies to choose from. I have used both and I prefer the Werther’s brand caramels (aff) for these cookies. They are the longer, skinnier ones. They just seem to be softer and as such provide a smoother caramel center. The others tend to harden a little. Speaking of which, pretty please don’t put these cookies in the fridge. The caramel will harden in the middle and you just might break a tooth biting into them. K not really. But maybe.
I suggest you run over to the grocery store and grab what you need for these Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies ASAP. You can thank me later.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 18 caramels unwrapped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat until blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well until a nice dough forms.
- Mix ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon together in a shallow dish (like a pie plate) and set aside.
- Divide dough and roll into balls about 2 tablespoons in size. (Using a cookie scoop is very helpful for this). Flatten each ball of dough with the palm of your hand and place a caramel in the center. Wrap the dough completely around the caramel and roll into a ball again. Roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cook completely.
- Store in a tightly sealed container for up to one week. Do not refrigerate as it will harden the caramel.
Here is another Snickerdoodle recipe you might like:
For more delicious cookie recipes, try these: