This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sweet cherry pie filling combined with luscious dark chocolate cake mix, all topped with a decadent Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. Who could ask for more?
I had this idea in my head for a while to combine cherry pie filling and brownie mix for a decadent chocolate cherry bar. Well after two epic fails, I opted to scrap the brownie idea and go for this amazing Chocolate Cherry Cake. It’s sweet, rich, moist and creamy smooth. It’s a perfect indulgence when your sweet tooth is calling for chocolate!
The recipe is just four ingredients – dark chocolate cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, one egg and a cup of water. I decided if I was going to go all out, I was going to GO. ALL. OUT. Enter this velvety chocolate cream cheese frosting. I could seriously eat this stuff with a spoon, spread it on toast or any other crazy obsessive thing one does with a really amazing chocolate spread like this.
Be careful, it’s dangerous. And you probably won’t want to share.
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 box Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, room temp
- 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat chocolate cake mix, egg and water in a large mixing bowl, on medium speed for about 1 minute. Gently fold in cherry pie filling.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth, about a minute. Slowly add sifted powdered sugar, salt and cocoa, then beat on high for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Spread immediately on the cooled cake. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
For more delicious chocolate desserts, be sure to try these: