This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These chocolate cupcakes are the best you’ve ever tasted, and the toasted coconut whipped cream topping just takes it all to another level.
My favorite obsession lately has been toasted coconut. I love the deep, rich flavor and the sweet crunch. My second favorite obsession right now is homemade whipped cream. I mixed in a little lemon for my Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes. So I thought why not go ahead and mix those two obsessions together?
Oh yeah. I could have eaten that stuff with a spoon.
For the cupcakes, I used my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe and subbed the fat for whole fat coconut milk. The result was a very sublte coconut flavor, but combined with the toasted coconut whipped cream it was positively magical.
Toasting the coconut is incredibly easy, however trust me on this one – do not walk away because it can burn very quickly. No that I’d know anything about that. Ahem.
I decided not to pipe on the whipped cream frosting because I figured the coconut would probably clog it. I love the rustic look of the glopped on frosting with tons of sweet toasted coconut on top.
More Cupcakes Recipes
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes
- Fluffy Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
- Strawberry Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes with Toasted Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup toasted coconut divided (directions to follow)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer on low, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, vanilla, coconut milk, oil and warm water. Stir until well combined.
- Divide batter among cupcake liners, filling about 2/3. Should fill approx. 18 cups.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Chill the metal bowl and whisk of a stand mixer in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Dissolve gelatin in the water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Toast coconut in the oven at 300 degrees for 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully as it can burn quickly. Set aside to cool.
- Combine heavy cream, dissolved gelatin and coconut milk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir in sugar to combine, and then ½ of the toasted and cooled coconut.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with additional toasted coconut.
- Store in refrigerator.
Cupcakes adapted from Martha Stewart