This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Classic Margaritas are the perfect cocktail for any occasion! Serve them on the rocks or frozen with a salted rim, and lime for the happiest hour around!
Classic Margarita Recipe
There’s something about a margarita that is just so inviting. Maybe it’s the punchy tequila, tart sweet and sour, or that salt-rimmed glass. It doesn’t matter to me as long as you keep them coming. This classic recipe is incredibly easy to make. Just 3 ingredients, some ice, and a couple of garnishes create cocktail heaven.
Because this simple recipe is so easy the trick to a really great margarita is quality ingredients. Choose a good tequila, none of that bottom shelf stuff. A silver, gold, or reposado tequila all work great here. Then it’s time for some triple sec. The standard orange liqueur is fine, but you can go next level with some Grand Marnier or Cointreau. Then there’s the sweet and sour mix. Please please please make your own. It is so easy you’ll wonder why you’ve never done it before.
How to Make a Margarita
- Cut a slit in a lime wedge and place on the rim of a margarita or rocks glass. Run the lime around the rim of the glass. Remove lime and dip the rim in margarita salt. Carefully fill the glass with ice.
Pour in tequila, triple sec, and then fill the rest of the glass with sweet and sour or margarita mix.
Garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
If you prefer your margaritas blended (frozen) instead of on the rocks, I’ve got you covered. The same idea applies here, but you need to make a batch of margaritas at a time so everything blends properly.
How to Make a Frozen Margarita
- Cut a slit in a lime wedge and place on the rim of cocktail glass. Run the lime around the rim of the glass. Remove lime and dip the rim in margarita salt.
- To a blender add 6 cups of ice, 1 cup tequila, 2/3 cup triple sec, and pour in enough sweet and sour to the ice just floats (about 1 ½ cups).
- Cover blender and run on high until the liquid and ice are blended and smooth.
- Pour margaritas into prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
*Makes 4 to 6 margaritas depending on how big your glass is.
The trick to frozen margaritas is the float. The right amount of liquid to make sure the ice is just covered will give you the perfect consistency for your frozen cocktail.
Homemade Sweet and Sour for Cocktails
Making your own homemade sweet and sour for this recipe is super simple. Mix together ½ cup simple syrup with ¼ cup fresh lemon juice and ¼ cup fresh lime juice. That’s it. You’ll get 1 cup sweet and sour to work with, which is enough to make 4 margaritas.
Try some of my favorite cocktails!
These recipes go great with this Simple Margarita Recipe!
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Easy Mexican Lasagna
- Shrimp Mango Quesadillas
- Fresh Homemade Salsa
- 1 1/2 ounces good-quality tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- 2 ounces Sweet and Sour or Margarita Mix
- Margarita salt
- Lime wedge
- Cut a slit in a lime wedge and place on the rim of a margarita or rocks glass. Run the lime around the rim of the glass. Remove lime and dip rim in margarita salt. Carefully fill glass with ice.
- Pour in tequila, triple sec, and then fill the rest of the glass with sweet and sour or margarita mix.
- Garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.